Sugar lost her baby...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spindleberry

Reaction score
Sugar was four months along in her pregnancy. I just found the fetus this evening while doing chores. She's been acting completely normal and was normal this evening, I just happen to find it when I went out to open the gate to put her in the other pen. I don't know why she lost the baby but I uploaded photos to my FB and I'll try to link to them here....does everything appear normal with the fetus and placenta? I know these things happen. I raise goats so while it's sad to have one abort, I know it just sometimes happens with no real reason. I'm sad though, I was really excited and looking forward to having a mini baby to raise from birth.
default_sad.png
It was a little colt.

I did find it interesting looking at the fetus...I've never seen a mini fetus before, or even a regular horse, I saw pictures on line but never in person so I had to take the oppertunity to check it out. It's amazing how formed they are, at that stage.

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/302247_2490753553390_1389275523_3031466_378184105_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/300717_2490753793396_1389275523_3031467_1154165142_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/309376_2490754633417_1389275523_3031470_791806077_n.jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/310805_2490754993426_1389275523_3031471_742107492_n.jpg

inside the placenta.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/319936_2490755793446_1389275523_3031473_1396158442_n.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried the link and this is what I got:

This content is currently unavailable.The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

I'm so sorry to hear this. It's always so sad when this happens. But I'm glad your mare is fine. Guess it's too late in Indiana for a re-breed?

Ok I'll link to the pics....let me edit my post.

The link didn't work for me.
default_no.gif
default_crybaby.gif
So sorry about your foal. it's hear breaking I know. Makes me want to check on April again. She is 3 months and I'm praying
default_pray.gif
. She lost hers this last yr.

Ok I edited the first post to link to each photo....I hope it worked.

Thanks

Sugar acts as if nothing happened and she's fine although I'm going to watch her closely of course.

I am so very sorry for your loss. Glad to hear your mare seems well ((hugs))

Stacy

I'm so sorry of the loss of the colt
default_sad.png

I've had losses like that many years ago. Hurts the heart. I'm glad your mare is ok.

{{{Hugs}}}

default_saludando.gif
Oh Oh OH that is so sad

ithe fetus looks normal to me

but i dont no ..iam in shock

that is just so sad

sending you big hugs

how sad
default_sad.png
so sorry that your lost your beautiful baby!!! so glad that Sugar is doing well!!

you poor things!

praying that she continues to do well!!

Cassie

So sorry for your loss.

Thank you for sharing the pictures. It really is amazing how developed a fetus is at such an early stage.

We also lost one a couple of weeks ago. She was about 3 months along. It was a filly of course
no.gif

So sorry for your loss. I know how tough it is to lose something you have put a lot of time and thought into
sad.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so very sorry for your loss. So glad your mare seems well. Unfortunately you will likely never know why this happened. I will be curious to see what the responses are as I don't recognize anything unusual, but others with more experience might.

Thank you for posting the pictures. How sure are you on the gestation? And how long would you say the fetus was?

Thanks for sharing your loss with the rest of us so we can all learn.

I am so sorry for the loss. I know it is a big disappointment. I do want to thank you for posting the pictures. My inexperienced eye says it all looks healthy but there usually is always an reason why the abortion takes place. I am glad you mare is doing well.

Oh how very sad. I understand what you are going through as it has happened to me
no.gif
These 11 months feel so long and we all dread going out in the morning to find that, please find comfort in the fact that Sugar is well. As to the reason I am afraid you might never know.

Hugs Renee

So sorry your mare lost her baby but thank you for sharing the photos..amazing how developed he was at that stage..Glad your mare is doing well and all the best for any future foals

so sorry for your loss - I feel for you and your mare , all that the planning and waiting with excitement for a beautiful baby - you must be gutted , Thankyou for posting the pics - although its sad to see I I found them very interesting , to me he looks normal on the outside but who knows whats on the inside , it may not have been a problem with the foal itself ..I imagine theres a host of things can could cause it - problems with the placenta etc , you will never know and even if you did you it may not have been able to do anything about it

So sorry that Sugar lost her baby, but glad to hear that she seems fine.

Thank you so much for the pictures - very interesting and informative and something that (thankfully) we rarely get to see.

Sending you and Sugar ((((HUGS))))

Latest posts

Back