Stray G. Pyr.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Us N Texas

Reaction score
Yesterday I was out running errands and Tina called me. She was frustrated, and nearly crying. She said she had opened her front door, and a 3-4 mo. old Great Pyr. puppy bounded into the house. He apparently had been sitting on the front porch praying for that door to open. No collar, no tags of any kind, but obviously well taken care of. Well fed and healthy. Well, we started the phone calling and canvasing the neighbors, and the veterinarian to see if anyone had lost the puppy. Nope. Evidently someone dropped him. How could anyone do that?!!! He is very, very sweet, and when he comes to you, he sits immediately at your feet. He is a loving little guy, and he wants to belong to someone so badly.

We can't keep on taking in all these dogs, but soft hearts always rule! The last one that showed up was a female English Mastiff that has had at least one litter of puppies, because her bag is "sprung". She is a delightful dog, loves Jacob and Tina with a passion, and of course she will stay here. She sleeps in the hay in the barn at nights. There are also a catahoula, and a husky of some sort that have decided to make their home here on the farm. We have two Cane Corsos, a poodle and a chi, and a chi/poo mix. We certainly don't need or want anymore dogs at our house either. I took one look at this little guy, and my heart reached out. He has a small dark mask on his face, and has so much expression in those eyes. Those eyes just beg for love and attention. He looks like an old soul with a young body. We will continue to try and find his owner for a few days, then try rehoming him. Don't have much luck here at that though, as most of the farms and ranches around us have the same problem of too many dropped dogs. I am afraid the little hobo has gone out on his own and found his home! Here. When you have so many dogs that are thrust on you, you feel you just can't do what needs to be done for them. Groceries alone are costing a mint for them, nevermind the expense of what should be done to medically care for them. We have an absolutely lousy humane society in the area. Call them and they say do what needs to be done, we will not come and get them. IMO, these are all good dogs that had the misfortune to belong to lousy thoughtless people! I could probably go on for pages and pages ranting about people who drop their dogs and leave it to other people to feed, medicate and love them. Do they not know the financial and emotional strain it puts on us?

Guess I just have to shut up and try and take in the fact that yet another dog has joined our home and hearts. I stopped by the vet's office the other day to buy enough Frontline to pay a mortgage, and about 6-8 large mutts were just laying around in the sun on the property. I asked the receptionist about them, and she said they were drops. They try and rehome them, but don't have a lot of luck either.

Is there a local or Texas rescue that you could team up with to get your drop offs "advertised" on petfinder and such through them?

And with a purebred (or close) you could look into a breed rescue to see if there is a somewhat nearby group that would be come and get the pup or work out a transport.

A young Pyr would be highly adoptable in many areas if you could get him the exposure.

Unless, of course, you are already smitten - and from your post it sounds like you just might be a bit
default_wub.png

Never thought about the Petfinder or the rescue organizations. This area is such a dog, horse, animal throw away place that I guess I just get caught up in that. How would I go about finding them?

Never mind that I am smitten, that can happen with any animal that needs love and groceries. I passed it on to my kids, and my grandson. We are such a mess!

If Texas were not so far away, I wouldn't be able to help myself from helping take him off your hands. Any will power I do have crumbles when it comes to puppies and especially big, fat fluffy ones.

YEP, Wish Texas wasn't so far away or we would take him. All the rescues around here state you have to keep them indoors. Ugh, they are a herding dog. We have been wanting one for a long time but prefer to do a rescue.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Texas were not so far away, I wouldn't be able to help myself from helping take him off your hands. Any will power I do have crumbles when it comes to puppies and especially big, fat fluffy ones.
I would fund 10 dollars to get that puppy to you Jill...
default_biggrin.png

I think the puppy wants to come to Maine and live
default_wub.png
I would love to see pics of him!!

Leslie

Hey, I live in Texas and have been looking for a Pyrenese or anatolian or cross. I would rather have a female, but males need love too!
default_yes.gif
Let me know if you can't find a good home for him

Janis

I could always use another LGD, are you heading anywhere near Sulphur Springs in the near future?

I'd also take him in a minute. Been thinking that when the time comes for another outside dog that's what it would be.....but who knows, when the "time comes", it could be anytime.

I'd love to see pix!

We NEVER have that problem. I would happily take him in a minute. It's cats here.

We don't have the problem with drop off dogs at all. Half the dogs you mentioned I would jump on in a minute.

ANYONE coming North???? That pup is built for Wisconsin weather
default_smile.png
And sorry he would be a spoiled indoor dog that would be like our other babies
default_wink.png

No problems like that here either BUT I do own a Pyr/Maremma cross and she is the most wonderful dog!!

You better rehome him fast or else accept he is your new addition
default_wink.png
They are such lovely dogs he will quickly warm your heart
default_yes.gif
If he hasn't already!

YEP, Wish Texas wasn't so far away or we would take him. All the rescues around here state you have to keep them indoors. Ugh, they are a herding dog. We have been wanting one for a long time but prefer to do a rescue.
I've had the same problem! There are rescue pyrs I'd love to adopt, but they require them to be indoors! Ours only came in during T-storms, any other time he was happy to be outside. We just had to put him down, and so I'm kinda looking around.

Very happy to report that I think the puppy has found a good home! Jacob (13 yr.old grandson) has given it to his girlfriend. So as soon as we think enough time has elapsed and no one has claimed him, he will be going to his new home!

Latest posts

Back