STRATEGY VS. ULTIUM

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is better for show, breeding, hard keepers, rescues, weanlings, yearlings, etc.?

• Strategy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ultium

• Other

• Total voters
I love Ultium for the ones that need it and think it works wonders for the ones are in need of weight.

protein levels for a mature horse are between 10-12% - protein is NOT stored in the body for use later it is peed out if they do not use it right then.

While the higher fat cont in Ulitium is something that can be stored and used as needed...

Also may want to look in a fat supplement / top dressing Natural Glo is a good one I also like alot both for helping in need of weight and a little of it goes a long way in helping give a shinny coat for show season

I also look for feeds that list the ingredients - it is a major pet pev of mine to have this by products and that by product as your 'list' of ingredients... this gives the feed comp the ability to change your overall feed - comes in same bag - looks the same but they switched something around within the limits of legal by product

can sometimes lead to your horse getting off and your not thinking about switching grains but in fact you may have in fact partially switched them without realizing it

anyhow hands down I'd go with Ulitium

I have purchased several bags of Strategy and it says to feed 0.3 to 0.5 lbs of feed per 100 lbs. of body weight for maintenence.

For my rescue and anyone who needs to "up" their body weight, should I feed double the recommended amount?

Thanks!

I have purchased several bags of Strategy and it says to feed 0.3 to 0.5 lbs of feed per 100 lbs. of body weight for maintenence.
For my rescue and anyone who needs to "up" their body weight, should I feed double the recommended amount?

Thanks!
Basic answer, no. If they need to gain weight, feed them for the weight they should be. So, if you have a mini that currently weighs 200# (which would be .6 to 1# Strategy), but should weigh 250#, then feed for the 250# which is .75 to 1.25# of Strategy. Don't forget to slowly work them up to that amount. And, when the horse reaches its goal weight, then reaccess how much Strategy they need, they may need the lower recommended amount to maintain or they could need the upper (or anywhere in between).

Is there a chart or anything that would tell approximately how much a miniature should weigh based on their heights? I have a 28", a 31", 31.25", 32", 32.5", and two 33.5". . . .

Thanks again!

Oh and as an update - they all LOVE Strategy - even my picky eaters gobbled it right up!

I don't know how accurate it is, but I do believe the LB info pages has charts and formulas for calculating weights.

Here's one link: http://www.lilbeginnings.com/info/misc/ It has a chart and the formula, should give you at least a rough estimate and a place to start.

Latest posts

Back