Feeding "Strategy GX" Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
For those of you who know that I am putting weight on my TWH Cross gelding know he's a picky eater over mostly everything and Strategy is about the only pelleted feed he will eat, although he loves to eat sweet feed.

I've spent the past week switching him over to just Strategy and as of today he is on it 100%. According to the feed instructions I should feed 1/2% of his body weight in Strategy per day, and since he weighs 900 lbs and I want him to weigh 1200 lbs (he would actually be "fat" at this weight but I would rather he be fat than skinny, especially when I am moving to a colder region and we are heading into winter as we are speaking) I did the calculations for him weighing 1200 lbs, since thats the weight I want him to be......which is 6 lbs per day. Does this sound right or too little?

As of right now he does NO work, he's ridden about 30 minutes once per week and thats at a walk/light trot - no strenuous work at all. He's also getting free choice fescue hay during the day and night, along with 3 lbs coastal bermuda hay twice per day at feeding times, he gets turned out on thick pasture every other day for 12 hours and is getting body builder - giving the 1 tablespoon twice per day at meal times.

Let me know if you think this will help him put the weight on. I was told not to add supplements to Strategy as to not throw off the balance?

BTW, I haven't noticed a true weight gain with him yet on the body builder, but his coat is lovely and glossy.....still waiting on those magic pounds to show up!

You can always call Purina. Feed companies usually hire PHD nutritionalists that can answer client questions.

I would work up the Strategy very slowly... Six pounds sounds fair (I was feeding 1 -2 pounds to minis and Shetlands when I fed it and they're really small) and if you feed recommended amounts then no, you don't need to supplement.

I will say that most of my horses were pretty hot on full rations of Strategy, even though Purina said it wasn't supposed to do that. I don't mind hot horses though... But I called Strategy my "rocket fuel."

Call Purina.

That sounds about right. My nursing Shetland mares get 3 lbs a day and so does the senior stallion who is a stall/fence line walker. The maintenance stock I feed 1 lb a day. I haven't noticed mine being any hotter since we switched to Strategy and I definitely like the results!

I give my halter mare 6lbs a day of this exact grain. I would also add soaked shredded beat pulp and corn oil. Another option is alfalfa cubes BUT ome horses will get hot on it. Another great grain if hes really into sweet is Horsemans Edge 10 fat 10 protien. If hes older id also look at Purinas Senior Active. The very highest fat grain I know of and have used is Purinas Ultium but it is a bit more expensive than anything else but is a great food. Email me at [email protected] i dont mind discussing feeding.

Katie I totally think you are wise to think ahead of your horse changing locations and wanting him to prepare for winter in a colder climate and he may loose a few pounds en=route and from his new surroundings so kudos to you.. I also think you need to evaluate his conformation. Most of my friends here own TWH and they always insist I am over feeding my Quarter Horse just because his chest and butt are twice the size of their horses. Its a conformation thing. Be very careful not to over feed and founder your guy, and do give your horse at least a month on Strategy and then re-evaluate. I've feed it for a good many years and it does put weight on a horse. Beet pulp mash will also do it but again, go slowly on this and don't try to add weight on a frame that possibly can't handle it. Best wishes to you.

I would also add soaked shredded beat pulp and corn oil. Another option is alfalfa cubes

He won't eat beet pulp or the corn oil - my 19 y/o QH gelding will eat it up but this boy won't touch it. I'm actually going to go buy some alfalfa pellets for him today and see if I can't get him to eat it since everyone said it will help.

I also think you need to evaluate his conformation. Most of my friends here own TWH and they always insist I am over feeding my Quarter Horse just because his chest and butt are twice the size of their horses. Its a conformation thing. Be very careful not to over feed and founder your guy, and do give your horse at least a month on Strategy and then re-evaluate. I've feed it for a good many years and it does put weight on a horse. Beet pulp mash will also do it but again, go slowly on this and don't try to add weight on a frame that possibly can't handle it.

Thank you for the advice but he does truely need to gain weight. You can see ribs and he needs more on his topline and hip bones. Feeding this horse is extremely expensive and since he won't eat a large variety of things, it's making matters worse. I will take and let him be on the Strategy and Body Builder for a month (he's been on the body builder for 8 days now and really can't tell a difference yet). He has a nice frame and isn't a refined horse and even though he needs weight he has nice muscling I just can't seem to cover those darn ribs or hip bones!

Latest posts

Back