Strategy users!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What does this have to do with Strategy?

My understanding is that he sprayed a pesticide in his bulk feed storage tank to kill weevils. He had done this for years but this time something was different.

I'm so sorry if I missed something here but I read the article and didn't see Strategy anywhere in there???

Sad article though...shows how one stupid move and effect a lot of horses and their owners!

The death toll is now up to 27 as 3 more horses died since last night. This updated article does say that the farm used Purina feed:

News Update on Texas horse deaths

The COTH thread, which I posted the link to in my earlier post, had postings by people who either know the farm owners, and one of the posters even boards there I think--talk there is that it was Strategy--that seemed a fairly definite point, but I don't have the impression that any one is really pointing fingers at Purina as being responsible.

Here's what I know from a very reliable source. It is , however, still HEARSAY.

The feed in the bulk storage bin was Strategy. However, [SIZE=14pt]STRATEGY WAS NOT THE CAUSE[/SIZE]. It just happened to be the feed they used.

They used a pelleted weevilcide which produces a toxic gas to kill any weevils in the feed. It must be ventilated out after its use and apparently this was not done adequately. The toxin in the gas settled in the feed and caused the problem.

default_sad.png

Remember, hearsay, even from a reliable source.

Actually, the farm's own website states that they feed Strategy so it wasn't a great stretch to assume the feed in the contaminated silo was Strategy. Interestingly enough on all the boards that are discussing this, I didn't see one person pointing fingers at Purina, and I've seen only one person get hyper over the mention of the feed by brand name. The only mystery now seems to be what caused something to go wrong with this particular treatment.

I don't know--I just don't think I could ever be comfortable using pesticide tablets in my grain storage, no matter how well it works for how many people. Even before this story came out, I'd be worrying that something like this would happen.

Latest posts

Back