Strange Marks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sambosmom

Reaction score
Hi When I got rebel in march he did not have these marks. Now he has several white lines(not spots) on whithers area. He has no appy marking any where. Does any one has any idea? He was 2 when I got him..

[SIZE=14pt]Could be lacing developing.... What color is he and could you post a pic of the spots?[/SIZE]

Lyn

I cant add a picture because I dont have a web site and I am not computer literate. He is sorrel with flaxen mane and tail, wide blaze and four socks. I have had appys and have never seen any appy signs(stripped hooves, mottle) on him.

Sounds like there are pinto genes involved on your boy....and I'm betting what you are seeing is "lacing".
yes.gif

Hi,

Does it look like this??

This filly was 12 months old in this pic. by the time she was two,

her back looked like a giraffe!!! She is a solid colored bay with a star.

When I got her at 5 months old she had some rain rot crud,

but just a little. The markings are up one side of her neck

but NOT on the side where her mane lays. I thought that seemed

interesting.

check out equinecolor.com
smile.gif
)

Ballerina2.jpg

Yep, that looks like lacing! It's a marking and not something caused by a skin disease as some people think...
wink.gif
Pretty neat!

Ok if we have lacing will it continue to grow? Does lacing develope over all the body? Iam sorry but I have never dealt with of even heard of lacing before. Thank You
wacko.gif
He was bought to train for my grandson(due in Dec.) and hopefully will be his first 4-h show horse.

Usually lacing will just appear on the horses back. It can move down his spine though. It looks really interesting when it's all done! And it shouldn't hurt the horse in the show ring.

Hi,

My full size horse developed marks like this 1 year after eating some senecio weed in her hay. The vet told me senecio poisoning can take up to 6 mos to show itself - which it did in several of our horses - 1 had to be put down due to the liver being so badly damaged. Anyway I noticed that it made bumps on their backs and their legs badly swollen. When the bumps went away the white grew in - all was caused from he senecio weed the vet said. Don't know - but it was weird.

Also caused some kidney failure on my big gelding - so much that he leaks while being ridden and I have to make sure he always has plenty of water in front of him the vet said. Also told me he would never make a good competition horse because of this - which I hadn't planned on doing anyway - he is my pleasure horse.

Needless to say - I extremely careful of what hay we feed now and who and where we buy it from if we have to buy it. A bargain isn't always a bargain - especially after vet bills.

I don't think that is lacing...in either case. I think both marks are a result of a low grade fungal infection. JMO, but there you are. Time will tell.

My 2yr pinto filly has this same markings, she is completely healthy had the vet out to look her over for a regular checkup and she's healthy, no fungal infections no kidney diseases, I think it's just normal lacing. But you have an interesting fact there, do either of you have photo's of when your horses were sick with these bumps and/or photo's of horses with this fungal disease for us to compare???

Latest posts

Back