Story of Bear

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korinne

Reaction score
On Friday our beloved Bear got hit by a car. My husband and I were in Walmart when my son called saying that Bear had been hit and that he was still alive and he had carried him back to yard. We live very close to town so it only took maybe 10 minutes to get home, but it felt much longer. Bear was on the front lawn, and bless his little heart, he tried to get up when he saw me, but couldn't. He did wag his tail though. He didn't look to badly hurt. No broken bones...some road rash on his belly and a cut in his mouth, but he was having trouble breathing. As my husband loaded him in the truck, I ran inside to call the animal hospital that we were on the way. I sat with him in the back seat, just stroking his head and talking to him. We got to the clinic and while we waited for the vet, i kneeled on the floor in front of Bear and he took some slow breaths and then he looked me right in eye for about a minute, never looking away, and I knew he was dying. He told me to let him go. And then he rested his head on my arm and stayed there until the vet came in. She took some xrays and he had a collasped lung. The impact ripped a hole in his one lung and damaged the other. She thought there might be a chance of saving him by draining the air in his chest cavity, and against my better judgement, I agreed. He was so young and strong. But 45 minutes after the procedure he was losing ground so we had no choice but to put him to sleep. I stayed with him the entire time, but after that initial connection when he looked in my eyes I don't think he knew I was there. It was probably the hardest thing I have ever done and I still cry as I write this. He died within seconds of the injection. We are going for his body today.

So here is to Bear, a great companion, a beautiful soul set free. Most of you will remember this photo of him from early in the spring.

May302006022.jpg

Korrine, That is so heartbreaking. I'm so sad for you!
default_sad.png

I totally understand how it is to look into your fur-baby's eyes and not want to listen to what he's telling you. I've been there...... It's one of the hardest things to experience.

Bless you,

MA

I'm so very sorry!!

Maybe he and my Bear will meet at the Rainbow Bridge. My little guy can show your Bear where all the best places to run and play are and where he can find the freshest, coolest water when he needs a drink.

:no: :no: :no: I am so sorry for you and your bear...Run free little Bear,

I am also sorry for what you your son and Bear had to experience. It is so hard to keep them safe with all the cars on the road.

Again my heart goes out to you.

Bonnie

I am so sorry! I am sitting here with tears in my eyes. What a beautiful little boy! I know that what you experienced with Bear has got to be one of the most hardest things you could ever go thru.

I am so sorry for your loss. It is so hard to lose a dog like that, and they leave a big empty place in our hearts. ((((hugs))))

default_crybaby.gif
: awwww, I'm sooo sorry to hear that....I've got tears in my eyes too....and I know my sister's Bear will be there waiting for him...I had that same connection with my sister's Rotti, only a few short weeks ago....she looked straight in my eyes, and I knew she was barely holding on. But I was soo thankful I was there to see her one last time....

I keep thinking time heals, but it's never fast enough. I was at a dog show this past weekend, at which there were many Rottweilers. One walked by Moxie, and just the expression she got on her face....it brought tears to my eyes (and right before we went in the ring too...)...

((((hugs)))) to you....

~kathryn

I'm so sorry to hear about Bear. I'm sorry you didn't have more time with him, he looks like a sweet boy. He'll have lots of friends over the rainbow bridge, I just sent my Chance over a few weeks ago. Give your son extra hugs.....I'm sure it was hard on him to find Bear like that.

So sorry to hear about Bear. :no: I lost my Misty (golden retriever) just a year ago after being hit by a car. I too have a Bear waiting at the rainbow bridge. Must be a good name. Your right. It takes a long time to heal when you lose a part of your family. Such a trauma for your son. Hope he will be ok.

Bonnie

So sorry to hear about your little Bear..........our thoughts and prayers are with you.

My heart just breaks for you and your family. I know that look and it just breaks your heart and takes your breath away. Thankfully he was very beloved and now runs free forever.

OMG, I am sitting here crying from reading about Bear. I am so sorry. I know that look, its so very special. I was holding Cookie, my foal from almost 2 years ago, and she looked at me like that, and rested her head on my arm and was gone. Bear will always be with you in all your good thoughts about him, and he knew when he passed he was loved by you and your family, which so many dogs never go get the chance of knowing. ((((hugs))) to you. COrinne

Latest posts

Back