STATE FARM CANCELS MY HOMEOWNERS INS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Now I'm ticked. We initially put up a farm sign out front when we realized that paramedics could not locate our home to help my mother during a heart attack. Around here, you always need some kind of landmark to describe exactly where you are and at the time, and even now we don't have street signs.

Today we are informed by State Farm Insurance that due to our Farm Sign, we are running a business therefore they are going to cancel our homeowners insurance. Hus explained to them this is a Hobby Farm, agriculture etc. those are my personal horses, pets, etc. I obviously don't make money off of them, quite a joke in itself, but it made no difference. Does not matter if we have been insured with them for many years, always paid our premiums on time, etc. We are canceled.

I was getting ready to advertise for winter boarding to see if anyone wanted to board with me for a few months but gee whiz I didn't even get to do that.

The sign says "The Garrisons' Brave Little Prancers Miniature Horse Farm" and is 2 1/2' X 4'

Last edited by a moderator:
Marty, there's a lot going on in the insurance industry right now due to new FEDERAL meddeling. We too got a cancelation (on a policy from them) and after calling our agent it was reinstated. Turns out it was a matter of they said we refused to sign a paper which we never got etc. I'm not saying it will work but I'd make a fuss if I were you. Never hurts to try.

By the way if you're not listed (such as on tax forms) as a business then I don't see how they can call you one. I know I'd like the tax exempt of being a business but we don't turn a profit (never have; never will) therefore can't be listed as a business.

Marty ,the same thing happened to my neighbor a couple of years ago with State farm Ins. But they didn't have a sign in front of their property. They had signs on their trailer which was parked in their front yard.

Try Rural Insurance. State Farm cancelled us quite a few years ago when they found out we had more than two horses. Rural has been great! No issues with anything and they even insure horses and metal buildings (which some others don't).

Marty you were quite obviously meant to find another insurance company.

We, all of us, trundle along in a groove because it's easiest, but I'll just bet you find a much better company, and probably a better deal to boot!

I'm sure you don't, especially right now, but I find it a bit amusing that an insurance company called State FARM has cancelled your insurance because you hung a sign saying "mini FARM".

My husband and I raised beef cattle so we are a farm and are insured as such, so something like this shouldn't be an issue for us, but you never know with the way companies seem to like to change policies with little to no notice.

Marty you were quite obviously meant to find another insurance company.

We, all of us, trundle along in a groove because it's easiest, but I'll just bet you find a much better company, and probably a better deal to boot!

Wow! That really stinks!

I think "State FARM" insurance should change its name. It is TOTALLY MISLEADING. (They should be slapped down for that.) We checked them out years ago thinking they would give us "farm insurance"....Not.

We used Allstate for a number of years and our old agent allowed us to fudge with the company even when we became more than a hobby farm. Our agent retired and the new one checked us out and canceled us after 15 years.

Now we use Country Financial Insurance. They accept farms, just don't do your autos with them.

BTW, what State FARM Insurance pulled with you STINKS.

It sounds like your agent is a real wonder to the industry. The situation makes no sense at all.

Don't bother calling "Farmer's Insurance". They don't do farms. When I called for a quote and they told me that, I went HUH??

We have Farm Bureau, but they aren't a national company. We have a Country Estate policy that covers the tractors, hay, animals etc, plus they can do a specific policy on individual animals.

It makes absolute sense that individuals can buy a jet ski that goes 90 mhp, a motor cycle that goes 150, and a snowmobile that does 200, but they won't do farms because of the nuisance possibility.

Wow, that really stinks. Technically, anyone that does consultant work should fall into the same catagory also.They are increasing the risk factor by increasing home traffic and potentially raising the risk for potential injuries, anythink like Pampered Chef, Mary Kay, Tastefully Simple, its all increasing the risk factor.

How rediculous, maybe they should take a look at our passionate hobbies and look at the figures, I know I wouldn't even qualify to claim myself as a bussiness or even for tax exempt status if I tried. For tax purposes , a bussiness can not have negative numbers on the books for 7 continous years or more. Hmmmm, Hay, feed, wormer, bedding, new barn, routine and emergency vet care, routine vaccinations, treats, gadgets like nippers, clippers, busy snackers, nope, I deffinately wouldn't make the cut as a bussiness on the books!

State Farm just looks for reasons to cancel people. You'll be well rid of them!!!

Barbie

I'm on the other side, I love my State Farm Agents, they were great working with me when I bought my farm because its considered an unusual property ( the house and barn are one structure) they did suggest I get an unbrella policy for one million to cover the farm and anything that happens on it, thats $123 a year, I have no problem and I had more horses then than I do now. I think it has alot to do with the agents, I have known mine for 10 years now and my husband had SF for over 15 years before I met him.

State Farm did the same to us about 10 years ago. Marty we went with Farm Bureau and got more coverage on our home barns, equipement and cars. for a better price.

Marty: we have our house property and our farm property (separate deed from the house property) with a company called Brethern Mutual. They were one of the few insurance companies that does actual *farm* insurance policies that we found in our area (MD).

OMG Marty!!
default_new_shocked.gif

Well hey, if they keep canceling their customers, guess they will run themselves out of business eventually. That is ridiculous and as to the signs hanging on a trailer, that is really grasping for anything there!!!!!!!

I FEEL YOUR ANGER MARTY!
default_1857272.gif

State Farm did the same thing to us......went to Allstate, and then they did it too!
default_frusty.gif

In doing much research after that....I found that many Insurance companies offer different products in different states. They cancelled the farm policies in our state because they had too many claims turned in by farms. So, they will cover farms in some states, but not others.

I am with American Family now. They do offer farm policies....at least for the time being! Who knows when that will change.
default_rolleyes.gif

I have a similar story to tell. I just got a notice of cancellation by Pekin Insurance a month ago (it expires in December by way of nonrenewal) because I wanted to insure my new Jerald show cart and my new harness. That was all. They insured everything else I have including the horse trailer and three vehicles and a camper. After questions about my minis (6 of them which they knew about when I bought the house and signed up with them), if any money was involved when you win in showing (not for me) and where do I keep them (on the 4 acres they insure with the house), where they stay (in the barn they insure). I explained this was just a hobby. They decided I wasn't worth the risk and dropped me. I don't write anything off, my animals are my pets and the only place the "farm" name appears is on my home email but they didn't see that because they contacted me by my work email. I have never sold any of the horses and don't claim to be a business of any type. I even sent them pictures of the cute little horses in the hopes that they would see how harmless they look (which they are).

You think they would have been happy getting more money instead of nothing. My agent is still trying to find another company to take me.

I thank everyone for the suggestions so I have options!

Amy

We have Farm Bureau, but they aren't a national company. We have a Country Estate policy that covers the tractors, hay, animals etc, plus they can do a specific policy on individual animals.

We also have Farm Bureau and love them... We do EVERYTHING through them... Our horses/cattle/house/vehicles/property they are just great. If you have them in your area I really recomend them.

Latest posts

Back