Stallions Y X chromosomes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southern_Heart

Reaction score
What gives here??? Is this TRUE???

If Stallions always decide the sex of the foal. The Y chromosome determines a colt, the X a filly.

Then how come with every stallion that I breed with that one mare she always has a colt while all the other mares are having fillys, bred by the same stallions.

Plus all the colts come out as red as she is, no matter what color the stallion is. But if bred to a pinto, then sometimes, not always, that colt with be a red pinto.

She has beatuiful colts as the one 5 year old gelding in my avatar is her 2rd born colt and is trained to drive and does great.

Just wondering as to why she would only just have all colts and no fillys when its the stallion that decided the Y or X.

Just wanted to know Why always a Y and no X's. I'm ready to give up on this mare of ever getting a filly out of her!
default_sad.png

Joyce

Don't give up, I leased (and now own) a mare who had 2 fillies for her first two foals, and then a run of 5-6 colts, but the last few times she's had fillies for me! So don't give up yet, there is still a chance!
default_yes.gif

Back when I was a kid, I knew this family that bred Appaloosas. She had a beautiful buckskin mare that she bred to her black, blanketed stallion. What she wanted was black filly with a blanket. Every time she bred the mare, she got a colt that was a buckskin, usually with a blanket. The colts were just beautiful, and they made magnificent geldings. But back then (in the late 60's), appy people didn't necessarily want buckskins. So they were all gelded. That went on for about 5 years.

Finally she sold the mare, bred. The next year the mare had (you guessed it) a black filly with a blanket. The woman bought back the mare...bred her, and (you guessed it again) she had a buckskin colt with a blanket!!!! :DOH! Sometimes ya just can't win!

I don't know what ever happened to the mare...but I know that the woman was incredibly frustrated. So, moral of the story is...if you want the mare to have a filly....sell her!!!!!
default_biggrin.png

Kim R.

I have also read that the acidity in the uterus will also determine the sex. Theres some thing that some breeders do with vinegar to make the mares uterus more receptive to fillies as opposed to colts. Have no idea if its an old wives tale or true. but i agree the minute you sell her in foal she will have a filly
default_wacko.png

I have one of those here too. She has had 5 foals-ALL colts-bred to different stallions!! I had read about the vinegar on here before too-something about putting it in the stallions drinking water during breeding season...maybe I will give it a try next year!

Kim L,

Ya I think that she has had 5 colts now and I would just love to have a filly by her to take her place one day later in life.

But Kim R you might have a point there. I could sell her and always just buy the filly back! Thats one way I guess.

I have her already bred for next year to a son of Quo Vadis and I can just about guess that it will be a colt.
default_sad.png
But.. if I sell her bred then maybe she will have a filly. She always has great text book deliveries.

That just might be the only way to get my filly... :DOH!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Joyce

Yep, sell her- she will have fillies for SURE!! LOL

I dont know but between two different stallions, I have only had 2 fillies in five years! Maybe six now, would have to check! Had four foals one year (lost one due to distocia) and just knew ONE of them had to be a filly. Nope- four boys!!

I was also taught that the time of breeding compared to time of ovulation can determine sex as the male sperm are faster but shorter lived and the female sperm stick around longer and swim further so you would want to breed before ovulation occurs.

I have tried 4 stallions with this mare and while the other mares all had filly's this mare still had boys.

Yes I have heard about the acidity in the uterus will also determine the sex and the bit about the vinegar, but will they eat their feed laced with the vinegar? If so how much do you add to the grain?

stormy, Thank for that bit of info..
default_smile.png

Joyce

I have a stallion that only throws fillies with his wife......

I bred only because I wanted colts, so I could have this

whole herd of little geldings.......

At this rate I could have bought 4 geldings, in any color, size

I wanted. LOL

Don't get me wrong, now that I have my girlie girls I love them

like crazy, but I just so wanted boys......

I do believe, like in women, the acidity or alkalinity has a bearing

that can override the stallion.

Back in the 70's, there was a tale about men that drank lots of beer

had a high incidence of daughters......

So I'm wondering with BabyZee, if someone isn't sitting out in the

barn with him, sharing their beers!
default_biggrin.png

The acidity doesn't determine the sex, it does have an effect on which sperm (Xor Y) have a better survival.

I have had one mare who gave me 8 foals first 6 colts, #7 (lucky #7 ??) was a filly
default_new_shocked.gif
So far there had been 7 stallions used! AHH HA......used sire to #7 to make #8..........yes, a duplicate EXCEPT the plumbing :DOH! In my case I did nothing the mare for this filly. Boy, did that little one get checked a lot! I just knew I had been wrong. But no, she is still here and a mare.
default_biggrin.png

You often see stallions who produce 75-80% either colts or fillies.

And, Teenie Jeanie is another mare who had almost all colts her entire breeding career.

Have only used 1 stallion here and have had 8 colts / 5 fillies

Hubbies 70 year old cousin says the only way to be sure of a female is to feed them ice cream !!!

His theory is will freeze the extra part off....
default_new_rofl.gif
sorry just had to tell you...

even tho the overall average, and what the stallion puts out, is about 50/50 male/female. when you look at one horse the averages fly out the window.

in this case, you have to remember, with each breeding, it has a 50/50 chance of being a filly or a colt. the next time you breed her, you still have a 50/50 chance of filly versus colt, and so on. no matter how many colts or fillies have gone before, each new breeding is a new collection consisting of half Y and half X swimmers. theory is that the X swimmers, for producing females, are hardier and stronger, so last longer if there is a challenge to the set, such as PH balance or a longer journey to reach the egg.

also, theoretically, if you use collected semen and artificial inseminiation, if the semen is centrifuged, you can separate the heavier Xs from the lighter Ys. ...theoretically...

selling the mare to produce a filly has often worked for us, too

oh one more thing. they just had an article in the horse about thin mares tend to throw more fillies. They did a big study on it. Heavy mares tend to throw colts. They said its natures way of continuing the species as when food is short it is better for the herd to have fillies. You can probably find the article online. It was interesting reading. *not that I would ever condone keeping a mare thin*

oh one more thing. they just had an article in the horse about thin mares tend to throw more fillies. They did a big study on it. Heavy mares tend to throw colts. They said its natures way of continuing the species as when food is short it is better for the herd to have fillies. You can probably find the article online. It was interesting reading. *not that I would ever condone keeping a mare thin*
It wasn't really thin - the recommendation used to be for broodmares to have a body condition score of 7 or higher. The current recommendation I believe is a body condition score of 5 to 6. That's still not thin, just thinner than the previous thinking. There also seems to be some evidence that mares that are losing weight at the time of conception (such as lactating mares) are more likely to conceive fillies.

Yes, X swimmers swim slower and live longer. Y swimmers swim faster and have a shorter life span. The closer you breed a mare to ovulation, the more likely she is to have a colt. Acidity can also influence how long the more fragile Y swimmers can live.

Here's a good site for equine repro info - http://www.equine-reproduction.com/articles/index.shtml

Lewella

in humans the Dad always determines sex of the baby, its probably the same way with horses.

Latest posts

Back