stallion vs gelding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wanted to add that there are alot of good books and videos on how to change bad behavior in horses.Yes most feature full size horses but the principles are still the same no matter what size. The fact of the matter is you cannot muscle a horse.You have to teach him to want to behave. I will be the first to admit I am no expert but I have found a lot of great info in books. Find some books on natural horsemanship that deal with bad behavior. I know trainers can be expensive and if you cant go that route then try books... Just some friendly advice.... Good luck....
default_saludando.gif

Ugh, stallions and me don't mix. I can understand where you are coming from, as I got a stallion last year and had no idea what I was doing. He was violent, vicious and downright dangerous. I found out quickly that having one was a whole other ball game than just having mares or geldings. It didn't end well. My mare wore scars for months and I learned a hard earned lesson. Stallion handling is now left to the experts and I will never own one again. I can have more peace of mind sending my mare to stud than keeping a stallion here.

Good luck, it looks like you're doing the right thing and persevering. In my case I got the stud out of here and quick. Maybe I am a coward but we didn't want anyone hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew I was in trouble the second I said "when he lets me", but I'm being honest, so yes, I pet him when he lets me, but that is soon going to change. Like the stallion you mentioned, mine was fine then one day the "I hate the world" switch went off and now he's unpredictable. I guess that is what bothers me the most is that you never know what he's gonna do. I didn't know if it was me, or him that was the problem, but after reading all of the posts, I think it's a little of both of us, but me more so because I am letting him get away with it. That stops now! I am the alpha marein every other aspect of my life so why not in the barn? From now on I will be
default_biggrin.png

Your problem is right here in your response. "I pet him when he allows it and give him his space when he doesn't"You need to let him know that you are the boss. That you are top stallion in this herd and he had better respect you. Right now you are letting him tell you that he is boss. As long as he feel he is boss, you will never get past this problem.
Whoa. The part I bolded says it all.

When he allows it? Give him space when he doesn't? NO.

You are the one to decide when something is to be done. You call the shots.

In a wild herd - there is a boss MARE that decides where they go and when... the stallion is defence. He does not call all the shots.

You need to be that boss mare. He needs to give YOU space and respect you. Always.

I care for a stallion here who was a pussycat until he started breeding... in fact - prior to breeding he was waaaay too dull in the show ring - lovely to look at but no fire, no sparkle. Now he has plenty o' fire - too much. He hates most of the other horses... he goes nuts if one of the geldings or the other (older, calmer, easy to handle) stallion goes by his stall. Sometimes he gets so wound up he will pace himself into a lather. He is the Energizer Bunny - he never stops. I can count on one hand the times I have seen him stretched out on his side, sleeping... ceasing his constant vigilance for a few minutes...

I try to keep him entertained. He goes out into a nice grassy pen or one of the pastures - unless he gets too wound up - then he can be in the arena and watch the daily comings and goings. He tends to be calmer there. He goes for walks. He gets toys. He gets one on one attention. I have pastured him with a couple of older mares - all went well at first and then after a few weeks a switch went off in his head anf he started to run them savagely... he had one of the most ornery, toughest, bossiest mares on the place running into the fence in terror and squealing and peeing in fright.

No more pasture mates. Ever.

And he gets more than a tap on the nose and a NO! when he acts up. Occasionally he might still rear up in defiance - and he will instantly seem to think - oh crap - bad idea!! - as I will correct him... immediately. Firmly but fairly.

He knows that when I come into his stall or to his gate - he must back off and give me space until he is invited closer. He is NEVER hand fed treats. I AM THE BOSS MARE - and he knows that. He is never to turn his butt to me. He is one of only 2 stallions (out of the many) I have ever worked with - from Warmbloods to Thoroughbreds to QHs - that I have felt the need to always keep an eye on and read his every ear twitch, his every glance. The other was a 16.3 HH Thoroughbred - not a 34" mini. I would never let any little kids near him. Or inattentive adults, for that matter. He may take advantage of such situations.

And please no - no lip chains or mouth chains should be used by anyone who is inexperienced... it may only cause a wreck and/or make a bad situation worse.

I agree with those who suggest that you need to call a trainer in to help you....

oh darn, i'm at work and don't have time to read this whole thread so forgive me if i'm repeating but two things come to mind immediately...

#1, a new horse owner should NEVER use a stud chain ANYWHERE on ANY horse without being supervised by an experienced horsey person.

#2, never never EVER EVER strike a horse anywhere near his head. this can cause so many more problems and will cure nothing.

ok, back to your regularly scheduled program.
default_wink.png

One thing I want to address that I haven't seen anyone else say, is, PLEASE make sure that your nieces stay away from this stallion. FAR away. I know that you said that they like to give the horses "equal attention", but stallions in general can be unpredictable, and yours sounds downright dangerous.
default_new_shocked.gif

Safety first, especially where children are involved. Even though my young stallions are very well-behaved and never have offered to bite, I still warn visiting children about them, since you just never know, with a stallion.

I've seen people new to horses "luck out" with super-sweet stallions, and all is fine, but IMO a difficult-to-handle stallion should be left to experienced horse handlers. I know of (and have seen) too many people be suddenly and viciously attacked by a stallion (most full-size, but mini stallions can be dangerous as well) and they bear the scars to show it. If you do decide to keep this horse a stallion, please do get help from experienced people, in person, and be prepared to always be on alert with him.

The girls are not allowed around him, his stall has 5 foot chicken wire around it just as a reminder and safety precaution, also because he kept reaching over and biting my mare and filly. According to the girls, "Blue is a 'typical' boy, ornery and mean" so they steer clear now and give everyone else attention. When we first got him he was actually better with the kids than anyone else but even then I was always right there. I am VERY neurotic about someone getting hurt. I wish I could get some pics on here to show how he use to be.

kim

One thing I want to address that I haven't seen anyone else say, is, PLEASE make sure that your nieces stay away from this stallion. FAR away. I know that you said that they like to give the horses "equal attention", but stallions in general can be unpredictable, and yours sounds downright dangerous.
default_new_shocked.gif

Safety first, especially where children are involved. Even though my young stallions are very well-behaved and never have offered to bite, I still warn visiting children about them, since you just never know, with a stallion.

I've seen people new to horses "luck out" with super-sweet stallions, and all is fine, but IMO a difficult-to-handle stallion should be left to experienced horse handlers. I know of (and have seen) too many people be suddenly and viciously attacked by a stallion (most full-size, but mini stallions can be dangerous as well) and they bear the scars to show it. If you do decide to keep this horse a stallion, please do get help from experienced people, in person, and be prepared to always be on alert with him.

Kim, he is a very pretty boy, I hope you can get him under control though, for everyones sakes..
default_yes.gif

He's cute, but are you sure you want to keep him a stallion? Stallions are unpredictable by nature and you will always have to be on alert when handling him. Younger family members may never be able to enjoy him intact. When mares are in heat stallions can really become obnoxious, even with proper handling. Many stallions must lead solitary lives and can become very frustrated over their inability to fulfill their desire to be around other horses and to reproduce. If you are planning on having more foals by him, are you set up for keeping the foals who may also be colts that if not sold may have to stay on your property and be separated from the other horses at weaning? Don't forget that if you geld him you could always breed out to better stallions, with different bloodlines, who are being successfully promoted to ensure the best match possible for your mares.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
default_laugh.png
I've been reading everyones responses in amazment. I think everyone is right in there way of training a stallion. talk to a professinal trainer. I don't own a stallion. I will leave that to the breeders, who do very well with there stallions. But the ground work info that was given is a good start. Don't stall him away. he is beutiful. May be there is something medical wrong with him. have your vet check him out.

You just never know.

good luck
default_aktion033.gif

no more stallions!!! Anymore boys are getting gelding ASAP
default_biggrin.png
Jimmy, my other stallion is GREAT!! Of course he is 17.

He's cute, but are you sure you want to keep him a stallion? Stallions are unpredictable by nature and you will always have to be on alert when handling him. Younger family members may never be able to enjoy him intact. When mares are in heat stallions can really become obnoxious, even with proper handling. Many stallions must lead solitary lives and can become very frustrated over their inability to fulfill their desire to be around other horses and to reproduce. If you are planning on having more foals by him, are you set up for keeping the foals who may also be colts that if not sold may have to stay on your property and be separated from the other horses at weaning? Don't forget that if you geld him you could always breed out to better stallions, with different bloodlines, who are being successfully promoted to ensure the best match possible for your mares.
default_yes.gif

Kim, I don't breed horses, I breed rabbits, so take this from that perspective..

Personality seems to be inheritable, to some degree. People may laugh at the idea of a vicious rabbit, but I have the scars to show you, it does happen. Since many of my bunnies wind up as pets, and I would hate to have a child injured by one of my rabbits, I decided a long time ago to let personality rule in deciding which animals to keep as breeders. I have passed over many animals with great conformation, because they were snots! I don't want to deal with it, I won't pass it on to the next generation. My rabbits are not all fall-in-your-arms friendly, but they are at least docile.

I've looked at the pictures, he's a cute little guy. But what, other than his color, makes him so special that you're willing to put up with this personality? The pictures with the kids are heart-wrenching when you think he simply can't be trusted with them any more. If he were mine, I would say, "sorry, Dude, you just voted yourself out of the gene pool," and geld him. Let somebody more tractible sire the next generation, heaven knows there are plenty of other candidates!

That's my two cents worth.
default_smile.png

I appreciate your response and advice, every little bit is helpful. I think, i'm going to try following some of the advice that has been given; 1st try training him myself, if that doesn't work, try a trainer, if that does't work, bye bye stallion, hello gelding. But he is going to be off limits to my nieces unless I am right next to them, training or not.

Kim, I don't breed horses, I breed rabbits, so take this from that perspective..

Personality seems to be inheritable, to some degree. People may laugh at the idea of a vicious rabbit, but I have the scars to show you, it does happen. Since many of my bunnies wind up as pets, and I would hate to have a child injured by one of my rabbits, I decided a long time ago to let personality rule in deciding which animals to keep as breeders. I have passed over many animals with great conformation, because they were snots! I don't want to deal with it, I won't pass it on to the next generation. My rabbits are not all fall-in-your-arms friendly, but they are at least docile.

I've looked at the pictures, he's a cute little guy. But what, other than his color, makes him so special that you're willing to put up with this personality? The pictures with the kids are heart-wrenching when you think he simply can't be trusted with them any more. If he were mine, I would say, "sorry, Dude, you just voted yourself out of the gene pool," and geld him. Let somebody more tractible sire the next generation, heaven knows there are plenty of other candidates!

That's my two cents worth.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back