stallion rant-sorry

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

running in the red

Reaction score
just had a call form a lady begging me to trade my filly for her stallion- told her that I don't want ANY more boys- she wants a girl to breed so that she can have a baby- can't afford to geld her boy- told her of a local vet that gelds for $75- how much cheaper can you get then that! we are gelding all of our boys this fall no more breeding for us for awhile- so, I'll have some beautiful geldings running around ..........why do people buy boys if they can't afford to geld if they don't plan on breeding-not that we need more babies to find homes for........and she hasn't handeled him- he's a wild thing.......such an unjustice for him- my stallions are very sweet and can be handled............

HA! She can't afford to geld her boy but wants a mare to breed and have a foal. The cost of breeding, vaccinations, and everything involved with making a foal is so much higher than gelding a colt or probably buying a foal

. Some people are SO DUMB aren't they??

This is so painful to read.

Must have been even more painful to listen to.

L.

I sometimes think people just don't stop and think about what they're saying! :arg! If you can't afford to geld a stallion you sure as spit can't afford to get a healthy foal on the ground! What is WRONG with people!
default_no.gif

OK, I just need to shut up before I get myself in trouble.
default_shutup.gif

Is it a breed combination she is hoping to get?

Is it a power thing? Does she need to have her OWN baby?

How many horses does she have? Sounds as though she has too many already, if he is a little wild. She could have so much fun with her own gelding. Maybe she is intimidated by the gelding procedure?

why do people buy boys if they can't afford to geld if they don't plan on breeding-not that we need more babies to find homes for........

Oh man, I hear ya!! I LOVE my stallions but any one of them would make a very nice gelding too, and I wouldn't have a problem gelding (I've done it many times in the past and will be gelding more in the near future). If one "can't afford to geld" then one surely shouldn't be breeding, IMO!
default_new_shocked.gif

...and what if this mare of hers has a colt?

Then she'll have two stallions she can't afford to geld, and two stallions who are too wild for her to handle!

$75 is a very affordable gelding price. I didn't geld one for quite a few years becuase the vets wanted $200. He was fine, but when we moved down here, I found a vet to do it for $75. Gelded him that summer.
default_biggrin.png

Yeah, if you can't afford to geld, then you can't afford to have a mare and baby. Let alone, 2 more mouths to feed.

Joy,

For sure you don't need another stallion!
default_no.gif
Let alone a wild one.
default_wacko.png
Where do you find all these nutz!! :DOH!

Joyce

I wish we could get a gelding for $75 I was quoted $350 this spring for a gelding. I would haul most of my boys there for that cost. I have two I would like to have done but would be over $700 plus $130 trip charge. I told my vet that too that it was too much money and he laughed and said well take them where they do it cheaper then. They know they got us.

Sounds like the bane of animals' existence - the know-nothing, would-be breeder. She made a hash of training this guy, and she wants a filly so it can have a foal that she can screw up with as well? What kind of logic is that? And I suppose, like most people who don't know what they are doing, if anything goes wrong, it'll be everyone's fault but hers.
default_no.gif

Hey Backwoods Nanny, Be careful of that "Its cheaper at the office thing". I was told that too, then I got up there and got hit with exam fees and tech fees. It was unreal. In the end my husband and I figured it was actually cheaper to have him come here and not go thru the hassle of loading and hauling.

Around here its just shy of $200 to geld (well that was last fall).

Where in the world can I find a vet to geld for $75.00???? We just had one done. I hauled 1 1/2 hours to the equine hospital for a $300 gelding fee that really was $800 with all the other fees added in and this guy had both testicles dropped and surgery was a peice of cake. I did get a sizable reduction in the charges as I had been told by some of the staff that the total fee would be $300.

As for the rank stallions trade for a mare I have heard that one before up here. Not ever going to happen!

Mark

The average cost for castration around here is $75-110. Both testicles must be descended for this price and that includes the sedation, antibiotics, surgery and tetanus. One thing about Texas is that we have a selection of good veterinarians.
default_yes.gif

My vet now charges $90 for all (visit, meds, etc), but a few years back, I paid $65 for a normal gelding procedure and $240 for a crypt/monorchid surgery.

I don't sell any of my colts intact UNLESS there is a highly compelling reason to sell them intact, and to a responsible and educated buyer with a good reason to own a stallion and the ability to handle one.

A stallion is a stallion, and it's a big commitment to training as well as maintenance (ensuring safety of the horse, other horses/animals and people) to own one.

Sadly, this woman will find her "deal" and go on fumbling...hopefully a light will go off.

Liz

I hate those calls - take my horse I can't handle them, so I can get a different one! Argh!

Personally, love the boys - both stallions and geldings - but we have the space (and I hope by now!) the knowledge to care for them and we do not allow any wild, unruly, or ill-mannered behavior to even get started.

I'm a big believer in gelding especially those wonky conformed, bad mannered, nasty ones although we've been gelding more than not the past few years. It's taken awhile, but I'm ever so very slowly moving towards Liz's position of gelding them all before they leave here!!!

iseestupidpeople.jpg

I've lived in several states in very horsey areas, and I've never had a quote for a castration less than $250 plus farm call. $75 is very unusual! I live in one of the horsey-est areas in the whole country, with two dozen vet clinics within calling distance, and the going rate is still $200+
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back