Stallion Not fully descended

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dynamic8999

Reaction score
I have a 2yr and 3 month old stallion that has only one testicle. One giant testicle! My vet wants me to take him to a specialty center for gelding. I know that they can take up to three years but how many of you have this situation? My vet feels the one giant testicle is not normal so is concerned. I hate to put my boy thru more intensive surgery than what a normal gelding procedure should be. Am I just being impatient? He is only 27 inch tall and very healthy otherwise.

I would tend to listen to your vet. I personally have never had a colt that wasn't fully descended by a year old at the very latest, so I don't have any helpful experience with "late bloomers", I'm sorry. Perhaps your vet thinks that the surgery would be easier on your colt to be done now, rather than wait? Especially since the one descended testicle is so large?

I hate to break it to you but YES, one large testicle is a real reason for concern. My vet says that one really large testicle means that there is a smaller one inside and it mostly likely will not decend..

I hope I'm wrong but I have seen this a couple times, I would check with your vet to see what it would cost to have a colt gelded with a retained testicle and then check around to some vet hospitals too and see what you can get for a good deal.

Please let us know how this turns out for you.

Latest posts

Back