Stall kept or run-in shelters?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When we started out in the Thoroughbred breeding business, we had 2 broodmares that 1) didnt like to be in stalls and 2) if in a stall had to be together or could see each other or would go insane and almost tear the stalls down.

What we did was in the field they were in, we had a over sized run in and we just put a divider wall down the center but they could see each other and then put gates on the front. You could have gotten two full grown mares in each. So when they came home with their babies from the foaling facility we had somewhere to keep them and their babies for a weeks time before they were allowed to roam the fields. Worked out great for stalls and then opened back up into a run in shed when not in use, just had the divder wall.

All our broodmares lived outside 24/7, i think the only time we brought them in was for the vet and even then we had to put them into the same stall. Weird I know but they were what we called "butt buddies" lol

First choice for me is not confining one to a stall at all so providing shelter for them if they need it is my answer. I just mainly wanted to say a BIG Congratulations on your new little boy!!!!

I have a combination, the stallions have individual stalls with attached turn outs with attached 1/4 acre pastures. My gelding has a stall with attached turn out. The mares currently have a section of the indoor arena that they can come into in bad weather with an attached turn out and attached pasture. The big horses have run-ins or stalls with attached turn out and attached pastures.

Latest posts

Back