Staking minis out to eat grass

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=10pt]I have two mares and one stallion - one mare and the stallion I let roam free, the bigger, younger mare who has a more " I am all that attitude" gets teathered out. I am always outdoors when they are out - wether teathered or not...There are just too may things that could happen. Love my mini's though![/SIZE]

Lori

[SIZE=12pt]I forgot to mention - we have three acres - but we mow about an acre or so...It is still nice to be able to let the horses ( big and small ) graze the lawn...[/SIZE]

Lori

Never did like the idea of tieing a horse out.

Once a friend of mine that always tied hers out was gone for a few days fishing on the ocean and had someone watching her place and they had the horse tied out. Guess who they called when they found the horse dead (big horse) I had to find a back hoe to come out during Labor Day weekend in 100 degree weather.

I have know people that tie out and never had any trouble but why chance it when their are other ways to let them enjoy the grass.

We also lost a pony when I was very young because it was staked out. It originally belonged to a neighbor and had been staked its entire life. We staked it for years but one day came home to find it dead and covered with rope burns.

I wouldn't even consider it now - especially with ones as young as you're talking about. I don't even leave babies that age alone when they are tied short.

My neighbor did this - with very nasty results.

If you have ever seen a horse with rope-burned pasterns, you would not do this. You'll never know if your horse is smart enough to not get tangled until it is too late, and because those pasterns are constantly flexing, the burn is constantly re-opening....making it susceptible to infection. Even with lots of antibiotic ointments, it takes a LONG LONG time to heal.

If you want your horses to graze down your lawn, I suggest portable corral panels that you can move from area to area. MUCH safer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all. You've helped me make a very important decision. I don't think I will ever stake out my minis. Sounds like too many things can happen. :eek: These are my first minis and as young as they are you can guess I'm not very experienced. I think everything I learned was from Marnie
default_wub.png
: and from this forum. You are a great bunch of people.
default_smile.png
default_yes.gif
: Bonnie

Latest posts

Back