Stable doors???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BallynoeBaby

Reaction score
I just got two stables made which look out at the padock at the moment, still more to do. But i don't have the doors on yet. I still do not know how to get them made as i want my mini to be able to see out but i also will have horses in them so i want them to see out as well. Does any know how they would design these doors so they can be used for both mini and horse. P.S. I want to make them out of metal.

Any help will be really apreciated

Thanks

It would be easier if they were made out of wood, just for the cost etc, but if you are ordering them from scratch they should be able to do them in metal.

I would do a quick sketch of a traditional door- then just cut it in to two thirds and a third- half is too low I have found.

All you need then is extra hinges and a couple or sturdy bolts!!

The third section is for the Mini, then if you close the top section and bolt the two pieces together you have a full stable door.

When I have done this in the past i have also used a stallion bar- a bar that slots into two holders on either side of the top of the door, at almost level with the top, this just prevents any real contact with the door.

I have always used these bars for big horses, not just stallions, it saves wear and tear on the door.

I still have all the supports and bars, on my Mini doors as well, altho I tend not to use them much these days.

If you make it out of wood please make sure that the slats are not big enough that they can stick their heads through. And an FYI, my stallion will rear up and rest his pasterns on top of the gate. Have to make sure hinges are strong enough to support this weight or the door high enough they can't do this.

Fran

Try something like the doors on this website. I am not sure where you would get the metal mesh but it would give lots of air flow, a place to look out and still be usefull for all size horses.

<http://www.handi-klasp.com/h_stall.htm>

All my stalls have the gates similar to the ones from the site below...I love them. You can either buy the large ones or if you buy the shorer ones just purchase an extra set of hangers and raise or lower them for the horse's needs in just seconds.

<http://www.doversaddlery.com/category.asp_Q_c_E_1862>

Thanks everyone i will take all of this advice and try get the best doors possible. My uncle works with metal so i can ask him to do them the way they want. I will post up photos when i get them eventually done.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back