Spring must be getting close

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AppyLover2

Reaction score
cause the horses are starting to shed a bit.
default_risa8.gif
default_new_multi.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Mine have been shedding for a few weeks now, the horses inside are not shedding to bad but the mares that are outside 24/7 have hair coming off by the handfulls .... makes me go
default_wub.png
thinking about spring.

Spring starts for me the first day i can wear my flip flops to the barn
default_laugh.png

Opps, just went out and worked them out and guess what they are shedding
default_aktion033.gif
Gee, I just cleaned their hooves last night and didn't notice, derr. Ya, know I was WONDERING cause this morning my mare ROLLED in her stall like 3 times and it scared me, then she came out side and rolled. The first thing I thought of was a twisted intestine!!!! I've like only seen her roll twice in her stall before, so I was alarmed. So I checked her temp which was normal and she was EATING and Pooping. I just freak out easy. Spring starts here for me, when I don't have to wear my coat to the barn on a consistent basis. TJ

Last edited:
Mine won't let loose of one little hair yet! It's real cold out tody and very windy...guess they think they'll be needing it for some time yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine aren't letting any go either! They like to hang on to their hair 'till the last minute
default_wacko.png
I can't believe people are clipping already, and I have to wait and wait until they even think about shedding.

My little guys are starting, nothing 'serious' yet....but they have started to rub it off themselves, so I know they are 'getting' there! LOL

My big guy has been shedding BUCKETS since mid Jan! I thought the same thing at the time...spring's gotta be around the corner. And it was, about 3 weeks ago, the weather was B-E-A-UTIFUL....then the past week we've had snow every day!
default_wacko.png
He is indoors and blanketed. I am very tired of coming home covered in white from head to toe. I shake my barn clothes out when I do brush him to get his white yak hair off as best I can!
default_rolleyes.gif
For some reason he gets a really thick coat....ok not as bad as the minis, but not a whole lot better! I got a grocery bag full yesterday...and he had been brushed only 2 days before!
default_wacko.png
Thankfully he's almost done...he's starting to look like a show horse again
default_biggrin.png
default_wub.png

~kathryn

No shedding yet for me here in NH. Checked them last night and that hair is letting go. We had another storm last night, at least it changed it's path and we only got about 2" in my area. So sick of white...I need GREEN

Mine are starting to shed, too! It's the beginning of REALLY bad hair days - I can tell!!!
default_new_rofl.gif

Liz R.

No shedding here but you guys are giving me hope
default_smile.png
Joyce

HaHa, Im a worry wort to your not alone, I just care about my babies so, and mine have been shedding for a few weeks now, mostly my mare, and then my gleding is slowly shedding out

Opps, just went out and worked them out and guess what they are shedding
default_aktion033.gif
Gee, I just cleaned their hooves last night and didn't notice, derr. Ya, know I was WONDERING cause this morning my mare ROLLED in her stall like 3 times and it scared me, then she came out side and rolled. The first thing I thought of was a twisted intestine!!!! I've like only seen her roll twice in her stall before, so I was alarmed. So I checked her temp which was normal and she was EATING and Pooping. I just freak out easy. Spring starts here for me, when I don't have to wear my coat to the barn on a consistent basis. TJ

My 10 (almost 11) month old colt is shedding pretty big handfuls right now. I walked into the barn this morning and he must have been itchy, as there was a few clumps of hair in his stall!
default_new_shocked.gif
My 14 year old gelding is just starting to shed, but it takes some effort to get much off of him.

I can't wait till spring! I finally get to see what my colt is hiding under his baby fuzz! I also get to have him gelded too
default_laugh.png

~Megan

My gelding just started shedding a few weeks ago
default_laugh.png
Had anyone noticed it was 5pm yesterday and it was light out!! I was outside playing around with mity (he chases snowballs and then tries to kill them, i need to get a video of it) and I couldn't believe what time it was when I brought him in from the paddock I was expecting it to be around 4 and it was a little past 5!
default_new_shocked.gif

ShotGun is shedding now as well. But we are having alot of rain storms with tons of wind. So bad its been flooding I 5 up a bit north of us.

We are still in a drought even with so much rain. I hope it snows record amounts in the hills and mountains, we need all we can get!!

Freedom and Mercy are shedding in the white areas on their coats more than the darker areas. Weatherly and Dipper have started the process while Neffie and Indy are hanging on to their coats. Since Mercy has an appearance on TV this weekend, I need to clip her as we will be inside a mall from 2:30-9:00PM to help raise funds for a local humane society.

Crocuses are coming up in my east facing garden... no blooms but they are up!

A couple of weeks and the flocks of redwinged blackbirds will return - the males are first with their staking out the best territory by the pond, then the females arrive later.

I am already doing chores in two sweatshirts because I am tired of wearing a coat!

But for me, spring is when the spring peepers begin singing and since the pond is frozen, I have some time to wait for that... and even though they sing, three more snow storms will hit according to an old weather tale that appears to be correct.

Denise

Denise interesting that you should mention the "white areas". I've found myself wondering if everyone's "white" sheds earlier than darker colors. Mine definitely do....course all my horses are mostly white.

The red wings have been back here for 2 or 3 weeks now. Love to hear them sing. Matter of fact....I hear one now.
default_yes.gif

[quote name='Arab Luver 4 Life' HaHa, Im a worry wort to your not alone, I just care about my babies so,

Nice to know there are other "worry worts" out there too.... TJ

Latest posts

Back