Spots...?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bluerocket,

I would think that your husband's horse is not "grey" but rather is a few spot apaloosa.

If it is developing spots and is out of a solid black mare and by an appaloosa - then unless the appaloosa is also going grey - your horse can't be greying.

Rather like a lot of appaloosa's do - he is coloring out (ie getting more spots)

Homozygous Appies (Fewspot) HAVE to have two Appy parents. If one parent is solid the animal is not fewspot, but it could be Varnish.

"It is not a laughing matter if you buy this animal, knowing nothing of pattern and colour, in the belief that it will breed you loud patterns."

I am not sure how buying a solid animal with a 'colored background' is knowing nothing of pattern and color behind it..... I do my research and usually get pics of the sire, dam, etc... and see what they are registered as...

This is no different than buying two colored horses and getting solid babies. Unless they are homozygous, there is NEVER a guarantee that you will get a colored foal from anything.

Also, just to point out- there is a difference in refering to a 'solid colored' Appy - if they have characteristics, they are considered Appy regardless of coat pattern. If they have no characteristics, they are still Appy bred, but not considered colored. I personally did have a loud colored filly from a solid mare with no characteristics and sired by a stallion that only had characteristics. The filly came out with spots all over her rear and back and lots of mottling as well. No doubt what she was.

Latest posts

Back