Splash bred to splash.... any problems?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinRTrueJoy

Reaction score
I just found out that there is a DNA test for Splash. Can anyone tell me if there are any problems breeding splash to splash? I have had all mares and my stallion LWO tested and they are negative.

Thank you,

Robin

None that I know of. If you do a search, Joanne posted test results for her miniatures "Pacific Pintos" when the new Splash test came out. She has more than one homozygous Splash mares I think, it is the frame gene that is the problem in producing LWO. Any pinto horse should be tested since it can hide. An all white homozygous splash foal is not LWO +.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, there are no known problems, the only problem is LWO X LWO and I think almost everyone knows about that now, and you have tested, so you are good to go.

After seeing results of the splash test that were posted on an earlier thread, the general feeling is that there is likely (or must be) another form of splash that the test doesn't cover anyway. Several of us got negative results for all three tests on minis that have blue eyes and/or otherwise appear to be splash.

I am absolutely certain there is at least one more variation- if not a number more variations! It could still turn out to be like Sabino......(UGH, please no!)

Hi Robin - hows things with you? As the others have said, no problems with splash to splash - are your girls bred already or are you thinking of possible breedings for this year.

Dragon sends his love!!

ANother pattern related question, which pattern is deafness associated with? Have only heard of it occasionally in minis but thought it was splash?? And I don't think it was related to homozygosity but just can't remember.

Deafness is associated with Splash and you are correct, it can happen with homozygous or heterozygous.

Latest posts

Back