Speaking of scams....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will not use Pay Pal for anything since my account was hacked into in 2005 and they took my account number from Pay Pal and racked up an amount of money that I ended up sending letters to disput everything, it was alot of work and Pay Pal would not do anything in this matter to help clear things up but it was resolved after many frustrating correspondences. I do not purchase anything off the computer after that ordeal. When I sell anything anymore, we take money orders, bank checks or I wait until the check clears before sending out the merchandise.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not remember where it was but someone had bought an animal or a product. The person got their item and then told ebey that they did not receive the item and without checking that the item was in fact not received by the buyer Pay Pal took the funds out of the sellers account and gave it back to the buyer. I do not know how it all turned out but it was a big hassle.

Over the last 7 years we have done literally 100's of transactions with PP. Ranging for 150.00 to 31,000.00 and so far have not had a problem.
default_biggrin.png

Like with wire transfers we have it linked to an account that keeps very little money in it as a safe guard.
default_yes.gif

But all in all it has been a good service, using it allows a customer to use a credit card or bank account withtout having to reveal the numbers and all the personal information of a stright forward credit card or bank transaction.(we also use these from time to time and have had charge backs on the cards which we had to fight.)
default_frusty.gif

Bottomline all forms of payment be they PP, credit cards, wire transfer, money orders etc., besides from cash in your hand can have problems. :arg!

Over the years we have had credit cards falsely used, fraudulent wire trasfers, stolen money orders, people using a purchase to collect banking information then using it to steal your identity and numerous other things happen in this day and age of the electronic media. Be careful with all of it is my only advice.

Our experience anyway. LOL

It really sucks having to act like you do not trust anyone if you want to protect your money, credit and reputation due to all this type stuff.
default_no.gif

I do not purchase anything off the computer after that ordeal.
Wow! I feel really, really sorry for you. Horse ownership would be extremely difficult for me (heck, it was, I remember what it was like) if I could not order stuff for my horses online. I certainly could not provide my horses with the (high) level of care that they regularly receive without being able to order stuff for them online. I would have to drive almost 100 miles to get some of the items that I use regularly and well over 100 miles to get a lot of the items that I use regularly to care for them (including, but not limited to, wormer, supplements, tack, tack, tack! Did I mention tack?). Not only that, I would also have to pay nearly double (and oftentimes more!) for it as well as the added cost of fuel and the wear and tear on my personal vehicle to go get them (so many equine supply companies offer cheap or free shipping if you order over x amount). I have regularly ordered stuff online for my horses for over 10 years without a single issue.

I agree with John- there are so many ways to get ripped off nowadays. Fake cashiers checks or money orders, folks can call and stop payment on a check at the bank, they can also report a money order, etc... as stolen. Unless you are dealing with good old cash..... OMG, look! Some of those $100 bills you just got from the bank are bogus and they will not make them good! You just have to be really careful no matter what kind of transaction you do- which is another reason to just try to make sure you have everything in writing in a signed contract when buying or selling. It protects you both, hopefully!!

When I order from Jeffers, United Vet, Horse.com, ect, I call the order in and I get the same price as the internet price, I haven't had any problems with getting supplies or anything for my horses or farm, plus there are multiple tack shops close to me and my vet lives very close to my farm in case I need any medication from him or his services.

I dont like to use pay pal. I would rather go to my bank and do a wire transfer . This way I have a reciept, and an signature of the bank agent incase something goes wrong. I like being able to go to the bank with my reciept , and speaking to the teller or manager if the transfer doesnt go through. With pay pal there is no one to talk to if there is a problem. but I know a lot of people feel Ok about pay pal, just not me
default_unsure.png

Latest posts

Back