Speaking of puppies......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky

Reaction score
Is there a chart somewhere that shows weight at a certain age = approximate mature weight?

My Dachshund puppy, Fred, weighed 5 lbs at 7 - 8 weeks of age. He goes back to the vet today for his second set of vaccinations and I'm sure he'll be weighed again. He's grown quite a bit in the past 3 weeks since he was at the vet the first time. I was expecting him to mature at 10 lbs or less when I got him, but I'm not so sure.....

I did a search and found this... No idea how accurate it is and it was a little hard to read I thought but might help some.. If I read it right it says that Fred will mature at 13-14lbs...

http://www.leetroy.com/weight.htm

Here is another one I found - you enter the dogs weight and how many weeks and it approximates mature weight... I put in 8 weeks and 5 pounds for a mini dachshund (sp?) and it came up with 14lbs 9oz mature weight.

http://www.puppyweights.com/breeds.html?i=196&age=8+weeks&w_pri=5&w_dec=0&units=oz&w_submit=Get+Adult+Size%2FWeight

Well, I know nothing about the weights of that breed, but Molly, our little Boston Terrier weighed in at 2 and 3/4 lbs at 8 weeks, and continued to gain about 10 oz on average until she was about 17 weeks. She ended up maturing about 15 pounds,

Then our little Chihuahua/Chinese Crested mix Monkey, weighed in at 31oz at 9 wks.then continued to gain a few oz weekly until at 27 weeks he weighed 3 1/4 lbs, but now, at over 2 years, he weighs in the 7-8 lb range, depending on how fat he gets. I try to keep him in good weight, but he seems to put weight on very easily.

Is there a chart somewhere that shows weight at a certain age = approximate mature weight?

My Dachshund puppy, Fred, weighed 5 lbs at 7 - 8 weeks of age. He goes back to the vet today for his second set of vaccinations and I'm sure he'll be weighed again. He's grown quite a bit in the past 3 weeks since he was at the vet the first time. I was expecting him to mature at 10 lbs or less when I got him, but I'm not so sure.....
Most usually Becky, you can get a good idea of an adult size and weight, by looking at the parents. Not always true, but most of the time. Also, if you look on the breed club or associations websites for your breed, they might give you some idea. The Standard for the breed will certainly be there. There also might be a forum for your breed, so you can compare to others.

Lizzie

Thanks for the info. That helps!

Lizzie, I didn't see the parents of this pup. All I got was some vague information. Full brother was supposed to be 7 lbs. Fred is supposed to be a miniature Dachshund which can be up to 12 lbs. Standard Dachshunds are 16 - 33 lbs if I remember correctly. I'm hoping for miniature size. Fred weighed 6.1 lbs today.

Latest posts

Back