speaking in public

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leigha

Reaction score
I love my mom and I love my job, but I hate and fear public speaking. I work for Farmer's insurance who sponsor's the NIAA (high school sports). They also give scholarships to seniors, well this year a young man from our small town school won one of the scholarships. My mom (farmers agent) jumped on the opportunity to present him with his scholarship at the senior awards, just to find out that is when she would be in LA in training that week. So I got asked to present the scholarship and of course I said yes (anything to help my mom out). So last night was the award's night and I had to sit on stage the whole time and in the front row no less. I was fine all the way up until the person in front of me was on his last award presentation. My heart starts racing and a stumble hrough my speach (thank goodness my mom was smart enought to write one) and on top of it I raced through the speach so I hope everyone was able to hear and understand me
default_sad.png
. But hey at least my lips didn't go numb like they used to so maybe what everyone says is true it does get easier as you get older
default_wacko.png
Oh and to top it off my newspaper friend was there and she'll be e-mailing me the pictures today.

From someone else who can not "do" public speaking, I can sympathize. Someone once told me before I had to speak at a large group to imagine them all in their underwear, after it was over I told her I felt like I was the only one with only her underwear on! I avoid at all costs and even told my boss not to count on me ever again for public speaking---I hate it!

Yes, I have taken speech classes and all that and its not that fun.

I graduated from college this year and in able to graduate with a bachelors in biology, we had to give a seminar. So, I had to take this class for it and the teacher helped me out a lot. He told me that when you are giving the speech, look at one person for a couple of seconds and act like you are talking to just that person, then switch to another person. This also helps you to slow down. When I gave my seminar, I wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be.

Chasta

I don't like public speaking either. Last year in college I had to take a speech class and I had to give 3 speeches. Ugh. One had to be 6 or 7 minutes long and a persuasive speech. My worst kind. Plus notes were alowed but not alot of reading off of them. You kind of had to memorize it. Another was an informative speech. A little better but not fun. The last was an impromptu speech. It was horrible. I stood there repeating myself and feeling stupid. LOL
default_smile.png
The last picture of you turned out nice.

I bet you did a better job than you think and the pictures are great!!!

By far, I know I am in the minority, but I love public speaking!!! I used to have to present real estate loans to my old bank's executive committee when I was younger and that was the first time and I would get nervous the night before the meetings initially. Now for the past 8 or so years, I do a lot in connection with my job now (financial advisor / broker / planner). I just love it!!! As long as I know my subject, it's something I get a big rush out of.

One thing that helped me is someone told me not to worry if I didn't say exactly what I meant to say because no one in the audience knows what I meant to say anyhow! And that if I do "mess up" just let it roll of my back because no one else will be thinking of my goof later (so why should I?)
default_smile.png

On the other hand, one on one, I can be really shy and self conscious. My biggest anxiety is like being at parties (especially "business" ones) and making conversation one on one with people. Definitely need a drink or two to get through those kinds of nights. I'd so much rather talk in front of a big group of people than stand and make conversation with people I don't know well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back