Someone SHOOT me

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrandmaC

Reaction score
Our GSD is in heat and it's my fault cause I hadn't gotten around to getting her spayed.

Wanted a litter of pups when she was maybe 3 (she is 21 months now) but as she has grown we decided

we feel she is not breeding material. We don't have to worry about accidental breeding cause we leash walk her and she is never outside without supervision

BUT now we get to endure a few days and nights of chronic whining and pacing.

Last night it was 11 pm, 1 am, 2:30 am, 3:15 am but we did get to sleep 3:35 to 7 without being woken up by her whining.

Gotta get this girl fixed. May even give her a bendryl tonight (Vet recommends it when we need to calm a dog)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never had problems with my girls thank goodness.....the boys on the other hand when the girls are in season :arg!

It's funny you say that about Benedryl....I've had the exact opposite reaction when using it (and was told the same thing as you), so it doesn't always do what people say it will and does greatly depend on the particular dog.

~kathryn

I have never seen or heard my girls act any different when they're in heat. Interesting.

Agggg EVERY TIME this little monster comes in heat she goes through a few days of whining and pacing, mainly at night.

We've use Benedryl. like twice per heat cycle so we can get some sleep ( at least 3 or 4 hours straight) and it works for Bella.

It's winter and she is an active dog who is use to running alongside my husbands bike twice a day and due to snow can't so I'm

guessing that isn't helping.

What you're talking about with opposite effect, I get that with codeine cough syrup, was given it once for a violent cough and took it at 11 pm one night

to try to calm the cough and get some sleep
wacko.gif
Heck I spent the next 3 hours cleaning my house, it didn't relax me,
wacko.gif
it upped my heart rate, made me nervous and jittery and I cleaned my whole house for three hours lol
yes.gif

Thats ok, I'll make sure she gets spayed the first of the month. My vet doesn't like doing it when they're in heat.

Ain't going though this a 4th time.
no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel your pain. I never got Tracey spayed because I thought I was going to raise puppies for a while. I didn't. Then it got away from me and we never did it, then oh, those diaper changes were so gross and she drove me up a wall with the whinning and pacing.

Soon as I got Amy after Tracey passed, I couldn't wait to get her spayed. Its a wonderful thing!

She must of worn herself out the other night cause she slept soundly last night and my husband and I got a little over 7 hours uninterrupted sleep Thank you Bella
laugh.gif

Maybe neither of us will be grumpy today.
smile.gif

Get some DAP spray or a DAP diffuser. Appeasing pherome stuff. You should be able to find in your local dog supply store. Helped with a dog that I adopted and came into heat two days after coming here. She also had a false pregnancy which followed the heat so watch for that, sometimes happens following a heat. That was no fun either she got milk and made nests and gathered stuffed toys all over the house and guarded them. I had to wean the toys and she didn't like that a bit. I was so glad when she finally got spayed! whew. good luck. Spaying is a wonderful thing!

Latest posts

Back