Some people.......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okla-paints

Reaction score
Have a lot of nerve. Today out of the blue,this guy and his son.

Pull in the drive way and ask my husband ...... Is that little mare for sale.

He said no.

Now did we have a sign on the gate. posted pic at town did word get around.

No :no:

How do people do what they do I dont get it :new_shocked:

Ok there are ways to find horses for sale i see them all the time.

How and why i ask would someone do this?

I find it very rude.

I would look at it different. I'd feel honored that someone liked my horse well enough to stop and ask about it. All you have to do is say no, as your husband did. I wouldn't get bent out of shape for such a minor act as this or maybe I'm missing something or should just shut my mouth or stop my fingers here, I'm not sure why you're upset?

I guess its the due drop ins.

I dont like people just showing up
default_wink.png
:

Its no big deal now.

I look at it like Marnie they were just asking and you might have made a "friend" or horsey acquaintance out of the deal and perhaps a future customer
default_yes.gif
:

I hope not everyone finds it rude. I made a very good horse friend in my area several years ago(who recently passed away) by doing this very same thing. It was before I ever knew Minis existed, and I was driving past her house, and saw she had this big buckskin in her pasture. I had been looking for one for quite some time, and thought, what could it hurt to ask? So, I stopped, and asked, and sure enough he was for sale, and I did buy him! It was also the start of a wonderful friendship with her and her husband, so I am VERY glad I stopped, and even happier that she was OK about my doing so.
default_yes.gif
:

I don't find it rude at all. Send them my way and I will happily entertain their questions and give them a tour until they cry "Uncle." Since you say there is no sign, how could they possibly call ahead for an appointment?

*shrugs* I would not have been upset.

Many times they don't know how to look for things they never knew existed, and they were taking a chance. I just don't see it as a rude gesture.

I have had people stop in the same way, more often they want to visit rather than buy, but that is FINE by me unless I'm busy or leaving.

Try being a little more understanding. Give them a business card and some contact information of local breeders that you trust and know and send them on with a "THanks for the compliment, but my little horses are not for sale. Here is the name and number of a reputable breeder with a wide range of stock that you might be interested in. They will be glad to hear from you. Tell them I sent you."

Liz M.

I would look at it different. I'd feel honored that someone liked my horse well enough to stop and ask about it. All you have to do is say no, as your husband did. I wouldn't get bent out of shape for such a minor act as this or maybe I'm missing something or should just shut my mouth or stop my fingers here, I'm not sure why you're upset?

[SIZE=12pt]I agree with what Marnie said - I would be tickled pink and flattered if some one pulled in out of the blue and questioned about my animals being for sale!
default_yes.gif
: :cheeky-smiley-006:
default_thumbup.gif
: Not that I want to sell any mind you...But I think that would be the ultimate compliment![/SIZE]

Lori

Send them to North Carolina, i love the "drop ins". I love any chance to show off my horses, as we are very proud of them!!
default_yes.gif
:

We don't get many drop ins here, since we're in the back of the subdivision, not on the main road. The only traffic on our road is the neighbors and their visitors, all uninterested in horses. If someone does drop in I'm always happy to show off the horses. These drop ins might not get invited into the house for coffee but they're certainly welcome to meet the horses :bgrin

I love it when people just stop by and want to see the minis or inquire if they are for sale! I have already sold Promise's unborn baby and had Ginger's sold at one point too. So this means not having to advertise Promise's foal and since the people come out almost on a weekly visit I get to actually know the people she is going to. There are quite a few that will just stop and watch them from their cars. What I do not like is the one little white pick up that stops and blows their horn trying to get them to run. That is a different story!

Fran

Absolutely what Tony and the others say!!!
default_yes.gif
:

I have made some very good friends from passers by, and I certainly would not be offended if they asked after a mare, or, more ususally, a foal.

I have to admit that, until I know a little more about them I do not invite them in, nor tell them too much about individual horses, but once they have contacted me by phone and I have details, then Yes, I'll bore the pants off them telling them all I know!!!
default_wacko.png
:
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_smile.png

we also love drop ins
default_smile.png
and i have to admit i have stopped by a lot of farms after seeing their horses off the highway and made some really good friends that way. Im so glad no one was offended by me dropping in on them. I do always ask if its a good time though to be polite.

I get them in the spring/summer and no I never mind, if they can come way down in the hollow to ask me a bout a horse, I'm happy to postpone what I was doing for a bit. Sold a few that way, made a few friends that way too.

Good Morning,

Just the other day I had a family pull up into our very long driveway and asked about our Shetlands. He was looking for a broke ridding pony for his grandchild and I had just sold my last ridding pony two weeks earlier. Had a really good visit, show the horses and our breeding program off and asked how he came to find me. Apparently the Mansfield (Texas ) Chamber of Commerce (I grew up in Mansfield) had given him my name and address and the Burleson Chamber of Commerce had too. Since I didn't have what he was looking for I did give him a name of another Shetland breeder that raises ridding ponies that might have a broke ridding pony. He also told me that he had stopped at the local feed store and asked about ponies in the area and the store owner had also given them my name.

That's very cheap advertisment, word of mouth, I'll take it anytime.

Karen Shaw

Fiddlestix Miniatures & Shetlands

Burleson Texas

I would be flattered also even though I don't have much for sale.

A few of my friends actually sell their horses that way. They are on a major highway. They don't even have to advertise most of the time.

I don't think it is rude at all - I think it is a great way to meet new people - and to find potential customers - you never know when you WILL have somethign for sale and to know someone who is looking is priceless.

JJay

I don't consider it rude if people stop by & ask if we have a horse for sale.................... You could always hang a sign saying something like appointments only with your telephone number or a sign stating we have NO horses for sale.

Latest posts

Back