Solid faced Frame overos?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnight star stables

Reaction score
Coming from another conversation, can anyone name or think of a solid faced visual frame overo? I don't think I have ever seen one?

Not talking about obvious hidden frame overos, such as Rowdy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both of our LWO+ minis have/had blazes.

Even if no one comes up with a solid faced frame overo, I would still test our solid faced Rowdy-bred tobiano/sabino mare if I planned to breed her to an LWO+ stallion.

Have to look close but yes, Rowdy has a blaze.

Rowdy1973.jpg

This is in no relation to breeding, just a question about colour.
default_smile.png
I know of several LWO+ horses with only a star or a snip or a sock, etc. I just don't think there are any visual frame overos with a solid face. (?)

I have wondered about this also. I have a mare out of Sweetwaters Overa Diplomat a miminally marked overo and she has all the characteristics of a frame overo, except no white on her face. She has a large circular spot on one side that goes under her belly and up onto her other side, with 4 white high white socks. White does not cross back. She also had a son who was marked very simalar,with very high white on back legs and white front legs with a small snip on his face. so question is--Do Frame Overo's always have white faces? I took her to a pinto show and they thought she was a Frame.

I have wondered about this also. I have a mare out of Sweetwaters Overa Diplomat a miminally marked overo and she has all the characteristics of a frame overo, except no white on her face. She has a large circular spot on one side that goes under her belly and up onto her other side, with 4 white high white socks. White does not cross back. She also had a son who was marked very simalar,with very high white on back legs and white front legs with a small snip on his face. so question is--Do Frame Overo's always have white faces? I took her to a pinto show and they thought she was a Frame.
This one sounds like Splash to me.

I have search around and they all say frame overos have some white on face.

So I would have to say NO

This is a Paint Horse mare, named KWS No Reflections. As I understand it, she has tested positive for frame, but has no white on her anywhere, just the two blue eyes.

scan0003_1.jpg

scan0005.jpg

scan0002.jpg

Here is a solid Miniature stallion. Micatos Milltown Magic is solid black with two blue eyes, and DNA tested positive for Frame.

annabellefoalNOLEG.JPG

There is someone else on the Forum who has a 'solid' appearing stallion tested LWO positive. Can't remember who it is. Frame can be very, very sneaky and two 'solid' horses can give you a loud pattern frame overo. Hence the reason one needs to test breeding horses.

Songcatcher I believe has a solid that is LWO+ but what the OP is asking here, is for a LOUD colored frame overo with a solid colored face.

Yup, Mona is right in what I am asking. I know of many minimal frame overos, (and I personally would really love to have a few that were), but I truly don't think a Visual, Loud frame can have a solid face... Not without carrying Tobiano, but then that would be a Tovero
default_rolleyes.gif
. Sigh, Pintos!

Well, it could be a visual Frame and the pattern needs not be anything to do with Frame!

It could have a solid head, and be visually a Frame on it's body and the body markings could be down to Splash- it happens a lot of times but we have no way of checking as there is no test for Splash.

So the pictured LWO+ Paint, or Amanda's Magic, could have ended up with loud white on their bodies and it couldhave been due to Splash.

We would have no way of knowing.
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back