Solar fencing???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmkrieg

Reaction score
I have a solar fence for up to a 10 mile radius for the dogs and the horses. We have 3 great pyrs that can basically get out of anything. I have no climb horse security fencing up and when the ground got soft they started digging to get under the fence so they could run. :no: They don't go far but still I don't want anyone to steal them or them to get hurt or bred to some stray dog. So, We put up a strand of electric fencing.

It was working great then all of a sudden we had a storm and the fence wasn't working. my husband went out and looked at it and said I had the ground wire not connected??? Which doesn't make sense because the fence worked for 2 days.

He hooked up the ground wire to the charger but the charger acts drained and the light it just staying on and not blinking like it did before it quit working.??? any suggestions??? I don't want my horses getting out or my dogs.

Solar also means it has a battery, and not being connected for a few days the battery now maybe be low and also needs to be charged up so the fencer works and clicking which is the blinking on and off. Not enough power IMO in the battery to make it work right.. And having a storm may have damaged the fencer also...A power surge if storm was strong enough for lightening to even get close...

I don't know where you live, dmkrieg, but we have had fog, clouds and everything else in between. Our charger is so low Kay was holding onto the wire today. It is now sitting on my kitchen table under the lights. This is the seond time this year we have done that.

Good luck!

Fran

I don't know where you live, dmkrieg, but we have had fog, clouds and everything else in between. Our charger is so low Kay was holding onto the wire today. It is now sitting on my kitchen table under the lights. This is the seond time this year we have done that.

Good luck!

Fran

***We are in Troy, Missouri and its been horrible. Should I get rid of the solar fencing?????

***We are in Troy, Missouri and its been horrible. Should I get rid of the solar fencing?????
Well these 2 things cloudy days and storms is why I have not gone to solar. I stay with the plug in type IF Possible to use the electric ones I would.. yes.

We will have woven and the electric on the inside when it is all said and done and some wooden. I figure it this way. With the electric opperated chargers if the electric goes out so does your fence. When I had a different farm I had the solar and used it for cattle and an Arabian mare. Never had a problem then, but I can't recall having so little of sun like we have this past week.

Fran

That is the reason we dont do solar here. All electric. Even the sales people at Fleet Farm do not recomend solar, or the electric tape.

If your GP are getting out that badly, do they have a big enough area? If you dont want them bred, then fix them, they are also less likely to roam. We have 2, they are not fenced in and they dont leave the property.

I don't have solor but when my charger don't blink and all my wires are up there is another thing that I have changed a couple of times, it plugs in into the box with 3 or 4 prongs.

Jo is referring to the fuse. It may well have burned out during the storm from a surge, etc.

I've got the standard plug in boxes as well as two of the large solar ones. My solar panels have been very dependable over the past 6 yrs. I did replace one battery last year :lol: Naturally, they are not all connected "together" but, are used in adjacent pastures. I figure if power goes, I at least have solar & vice/versa.

Great Idea to check the fuse. I will do that as soon as I get home. I even bought another battery. We had a horrible lightening storm and I think that could of had something to do with it. Although the hubby says I just had the grounding wire not hooked up correctly. Now the charger is dead.

As far as my Great Pyrs. I love these dogs so much and I do plan on breeding them when they get a bit older. They have a huge area to run so that isn't a big problem. I just don't want some crazy dog to come in and breed them. So for right now while the fence isn't working they get to run out in their area to go potty and then they have to come back into the barn and they get free run of that which is a nice size barn. they like to be with the minis more than anything.

Thanks guys for your help. I don't know what I would do without you guys!!!

Latest posts

Back