So Cal folks in fire danger

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HGFarm

Reaction score
The horrible CA fires are just devistating and moving rapidly. I know many of our Forum members and other Mini owners and friends are right in the areas that is the worst.

Please check in here or update anything you can regarding the safety of all involved!

Checking in from Camarillo, CA. We evacuated Sunday but luckily got to come back home yesterday. We did a "Precautionary" evacuation as we didn't want to wait until the last minute, we had places to go, and I needed another trailer to get all six of mine out. I would advise anyone who has horses and gets a "Recommended" evacuation to go ahead and do it. There is no reason to wait until the last minute. I know plenty of people in years past who waited and horses were burned, people were hurt.

I have room if anyone needs to evacuate and I have an oversize 2-horse straight load gooseneck. Call me at 805-469-0379. (I have a 60'x100' arena divided in half.)

Stay safe everyone!

Rebecca

P.S.-I'm trying to get updates from my sister in Poway (right next to Rancho Bernardo) to see what equestrian areas have evacuated and status of them. Will update if I hear.

Man what a mess. went yesterday tocheck and help withy horses. none in lakeside were being moved. but boRDING STABLE HAd taken in two from ramona. Still holding my breath. Never been this sc arey .Let yo9ur sister knoiw that parkway plaza and the new home depot have space for large animals. Will know mnore when I get to work.

excuse the typos using my sons lap top

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it is a bit far to AZ, but if folks need a place to house livestock, we can take in a few here. My friend has a pen that can house whatever and she will take in dogs or cats too if need be til the danger is over. (she also has a guest room)

I can house a few Minis or a big horse or two if they get along.

Let us know! I saw that places were filled up yesterday that had stalls in the immediate areas and saw horrible reports showing horses being left behind amoung the flames.

Checking in here - most of my horses are in Agua Dulce, where I believe 46,000 acres has burned so far. They are at my business partner's ranch, where they have 50 miniature horses. Everyone is okay as the fire moved south of the property. Air quality is horrible, but at least the horses are okay. I have one pregnant mare and she seems to be doing just fine. Maybe I will name the baby "Smokey"...

Liz R.

I did hear from Felicia Wimmer.... she is in Hawaii on a corporate trip right now- Her sons are home with the livestock and were on standby to evacuate yesterday. A woman stopped by and said she had 100 horses that needed to be evacuated and Felicia only has about an acre. Her sons did jump in to help move horses and were able to find accomidations for them. They said the smoke was horrible there. The horse hospital where she works is working on a skeleton crew and is on alert. She advised several of her friends have been evacuated.

Glad you heard from Felicia - any word from Liz V. in Ojai?

Liz R.

I'm in Orange County near the fire there. We are ok, we were not evacuated and there is no real danger for us right now. The fire is moving away from us, from what I can tell. I do know people who have been evacuated. The smoke is horrible at times. I'm glad somebody heard from Felicia. I bought my first horse from her and was worried since a lot of the areas around her were being evacuated.

Carol W.

I wonder if that person in Ojai is who Felicia was talking about?? We cannot get hold of Lori Barile. Many others we have not heard from or about either. As you hear, please post!

There are other folks here now in AZ that have room available for horses if need be....

Thanks!

I am not in Ca, but I saw this on another site. It had lots of info and links. I know this particular site makes a few people mad (ok maybe lots of people) but in this time of such need I thought no one would object to the info.

fhotd fire info

Most of us know about the wildfires in Southern California right now. Evacuation facilities for horses are overflowing already. If you can house some horses (or other pets!) temporarily, or if you have a truck and trailer to move horses for someone who may not have transportation, here are some places you can post so that those in need can find you.

San Diego Craigslist

Los Angeles Craigslist

Orange County Craigslist

Here is a blog about the fires in the San Diego area with more information.

For those in danger from the fire, from the blog:

Horse stables for 1,700 available in Indio

Posted @ 7:17 PM

Evacuees are invited to stable their horses at a horse farm in the Thermal-Indio area.A private citizen, recommended by a California Department of Food & Agriculture veterinarian, has volunteered enough property, staff, food, and water resources to care for up to 1,700 horses. For more information, County residents can call (760) 399-2716.

From Peggy on COTH:

According to the OC Fire authority website (http://www.ocfa.org/ocfamain.asp?pgn1=3), Industry Hills is taking horses.They list the following under "Animal Evacuation"

OC Fair Ground is closed to animals at this time.

Industry Hills Expo Center will take 125 large animals (626) 330-0324. They are located off of the 60 Freeway between the 57 and 605 freeways

Orange County Animal Shelter off of The City Drive will take 150 dogs and 75 cats.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm in same city as Hosscrazy. we were sent home from school today because the air quality was awful. It's not too close for us to evacuate just yet, but if it keeps moving....
default_unsure.png
: a lot of friends I have near Stevenson Ranch have had to evacuate. The ranch we do the cow penning thing at has had to evacuate.

here's the smoke in the sky.....

smokeysky003.jpg

as opposed to the other half, which is blue.

smokeysky001.jpg

see the difference...

smokeysky004.jpg

ugh, well I'm off to scrape ash off water buckets. and cover the pool, last time there were bad fires the debris clogged the filter. this one's not as bad as they were earlier this summer when Griffith Park burned, it was unbareable to go outside.

default_pray.gif
: 's to those who have been more directly affected.

My friend just talked to Lori Barile's husband Sevee (sp). Lori and the horses got out yesterday.

He is still there. Lori won't be able to get back in due to the road blocks.

Oh thank you Gini! We have been SO worried. Svee was just here about a week or so ago - we were going to go over there! Last time we were there in the spring you could see where the last fire burnt part of the back of her place and where it got RIGHT up to places there.

I'm not too near any of the fires. Hopefully they can start getting things under control. The air quality is horrible.

As of now, the winds have started to die down so that should help things a lot...

Andrea

Ditto on the air quality --- yesterday looked like night fall around 3:00PM. My horse Firefly's eyes are red and swollen - I just put fly masks on my guys and hopefully that wil help somewhat.

Liz R.

If your horses will let you. Put damp cloth under over the fly masks. This helped us the year our mountain

was on fire. The horses didn't seem to mind and it did keep some of the particals in the smoke out of their

eyes.

Ditto on the air quality --- yesterday looked like night fall around 3:00PM. My horse Firefly's eyes are red and swollen - I just put fly masks on my guys and hopefully that wil help somewhat.

Liz R.

Hi everyone,

I'm in HI and trying to see if I can get home today. My place, family and horses are safe for now, but I have had seveal calls for help to evac. My work, the equine hospital, has been evacuated, and the facility where some of the horses were evac'd to has been evac'd. Helen Woodward animal hospital and rescue has been evac'd and the Del Mar Track stables are closed to capacity. The shopping malls and community colleges have been opened for refuge for people and animals. San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant is in the path now. I'm sure they will protect it, but if it gets too close, it will destroy the power grid for SD, so no commucations.....

Here's a map that may help you keep on track.....

FIRE MAP

I'm SURE Joel White has been evac'd as he in in block 1048

I'm in block 1107..OK for now.

Any of you from the SD area that can check in, please let us know what Thomas Bro's block you are in so we can keep better track.

BE SAFE and thanks to EVERYONE for all your concern!

Liz R.

just a thought for you if the fire does get real close, got this off a LONG e-mail so not posting the whole thing, that a firefighter wrote about what and what not to do... i understand that now it is important to keep the ash out of their eyes but IF the fire gets close...

"[SIZE=14pt]Firstly, please ensure that your horse is not wearing any gear that contains[/SIZE]

plastic elements, such as fly masks, pvc (or nylon) halters, that sort of

thing. Plastic melts and weakens. If it's a facial covering your pony is going

to get burned ( I have seen this and do not care to EVER see it again), "

not something i would have thought of myself :new_shocked:

Hi Felicia,

Glad to hear your people and animals are safe. My friend received a text message this morning saying that they needed trailers down there to help evacuate. Then she heard that Bob Hubbard had three big vans in the area (commercial shipper). We didn't know what to think but we are both willing to come down and help if we're needed. She has a 2-horse slant load and I have an oversize (height and length) 2-horse straightload gooseneck. I also have room at my place but I'm up in Camarillo. I was told this place can take in horses: http://www.blenheimequisports.com/

Please let me know if there's anything we can do from up here. We're about 3 hours from there--normally. Not sure how long it would take to get there with all the activity.

Take care!

Rebecca

Hi everyone,

I'm in HI and trying to see if I can get home today. My place, family and horses are safe for now, but I have had seveal calls for help to evac. My work, the equine hospital, has been evacuated, and the facility where some of the horses were evac'd to has been evac'd. Helen Woodward animal hospital and rescue has been evac'd and the Del Mar Track stables are closed to capacity. The shopping malls and community colleges have been opened for refuge for people and animals. San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant is in the path now. I'm sure they will protect it, but if it gets too close, it will destroy the power grid for SD, so no commucations.....

Here's a map that may help you keep on track.....

FIRE MAP

I'm SURE Joel White has been evac'd as he in in block 1048

I'm in block 1107..OK for now.

Any of you from the SD area that can check in, please let us know what Thomas Bro's block you are in so we can keep better track.

BE SAFE and thanks to EVERYONE for all your concern!

yep, Joel had to evacuate - but he says everything is fine (including my filly!)

Norco hasn't been in any danger, but my asthma is acting up bad from all the smoke and ash!

Latest posts

Back