Snotty nostril on one side..Help Please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElliesMom

Reaction score
My Ellie showed up with a snotty left nostril this afternoon...its kind of pussy yellowish green in color - Could this just be from our first night in the 30's, or should I watch for sickness. We have no other horses or mini's, so not much I can think of that she would catch. What do you think???

Vet said to watch her for a cough or choking....what would this mean? Thanks!
sad.gif

I had one get pnuemonia last year. She had a dry cough and the snotty nostrils.

If it goes in to a cough they are possibly looking for pnuemonia. Always a good idea to see if they have a temperature for the vet.

Change of seasons always brings on strange reactions. Just had a mare get gas colic.

And so it begins. Every year, usually the young ones, react like this to severe temp changes. It is good you have spoken with your vet. The color definitely says infection. Doesn't he maybe want to come see her?

Now mind you, this is JUST ME, I am NOT prescribing..not a vet, nope not me...but I keep SMZ tabs on hand for just this reason. Great stuff for snotty noses. You could maybe kinda sorta ask your vet about beginning this..why wait for a cough and pnuemonia.

JMHO..no flames please.

Edited to add, might as well hang myself...I put the tab in a large 12cc syringe with applesauce. Easy to give and they love it! JMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd recommend your vet check her teeth. The "yellow/green" color you describe sends up red flags for me.

Have you checked her temperature?

MA

Thanks for the info - no I havent check her temp, as she is still eating well. I gave her a large dose of viiamin C (550mg) with her evening feed and checked on her about 10:30 tonight and her nose had dried up...so hopefully the C will continue to help her out. I think she picked this up from my dogs house...I had moved it into her corral yesterday and cleaned it out, but had no shavings left so I put down hay for the dog...of course Ellie had to eat it, but I didnt think of the fungus or bacteria that might have been inside the dog house. My big mistake. She is making noises when she breathes, but nothing extreme. Im watching her closely for now and Ill take her temp in the morning, and call the vet if needed. But the vitamin C seems to have helped quite a bit already.....my grandmother always poked vitamin C and E down all her animals when they were down with something so I figured it wouldnt hurt to give it a try with Ellie. I just worry, worry , worry so much about my lil' Ell...

Latest posts

Back