slight fallen crest on older stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alisha514

Reaction score
My new stallion that I bought has a slight fallen crest. Its not really that bad and when he flexes his neck to the ladies it straightens right back up. I think it just happened in the last couple of yrs if not over the winter. (It was like that when I bought him) I think it fell over because he has such a slender neck and a heavy main. I clipped a lot off and that seemed to help some. What I was wondering is if I was to work him and get muscle tone back into him because this boy hasnt been in shape since 2004 and when I body clipped him I noticed he really has no muscle tone in his butt or shoulders, could I get his neck to come back? Like I said its very slight and it only leans on the side the mane is on. Here is a picture that you can kind of see it and its not his whole neck just a little by the bridle path (were the hair isnt sticking up as bad). He is 11 yrs old and even though he would probably never be able to place against the younger stallions in a show I wouldnt mind taking him to a show. But the only thing thats stopping me is his neck. If there really isnt anything I can do oh well. I know he still produces very nice foals but hes just so awesome looking I wanted to make his neck better and show him off.

IMG_0089.jpg

thanks,

Alisha

It is actually fallen? I can't tell in the photo. What if you place the mane on the opposite side, slick it down and put a mane tamer on it (and just switch sides so it doesn't give it that appearance)?

Have you tried sweating his neck?

I have tired to put it on the other side but his mane is very course and heavy and wont stay. May have to try it when I bathe him. Its hard to see it unless u are standing over him. Its like about 2" of neck that rolls over. I havent tried sweating yet but thats kinda why I was asking. Would it help. Is it worth it?

Alisha

My mare's neck does something similar and keeping her in work (she's a driving horse) having her work rounded and moving properly works to keep her neck upright it also helps keep the weight off. She also has that heavy mane, I keep the underside of it clipped especially in the summer.

Karen

So its sounding like getting him working may actually help him? I sure hope so. That would be nice.

Alisha

Just wonderig what you are feeding?

Too much protein does not help, and sweating and working does help.

i also am having this trouble only its his hole neck, he has a vary long vary heavy mane he is a 5 year old though, it happend recently in winter. i dont know what to do about it he also has a farly thin neck

Do you have a full-body picture of him so we can see his overall condition? From what I can see, your guy doesn't seem to have a very cresty/fatty neck, but is it safe to assume he's a breeding stallion? Once a stallion's crest really "breaks," I don't think there's anything that can be done to bring it back, but I don't see that in your picture. Fitting him up with a sweat might be enough to bring it back up, but the fact that it's just starting to sag now after he's been in the same condition for years probably means it's a combination of hormones and age-related muscle loss. (He's certainly not old, but obviously his metabolism isn't what it was when he was 5.) If sweating doesn't work, then Carolyn's suggestion could be a good quick fix for a show - chances are if toning won't bring his crest back up, then it will fall to the other side eventually too, but it'll take more than a day for the weight to redistribute and for the neck to sag again on that side. Something to consider before undercutting!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back