Silver Bay vs Silver Taffy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammyelle

Reaction score
Hi,
default_smile.png

I am wondering if any of you with silver bays would mind posting pictures of them in there natural coat and in there clipped coat. To me the silver bay looks alot like the silver taffy when clipped not sure if this is true in most cases or if the ones I have seen are just exceptions.

Thanks

Hi,
default_smile.png

I am wondering if any of you with silver bays would mind posting pictures of them in there natural coat and in there clipped coat. To me the silver bay looks alot like the silver taffy when clipped not sure if this is true in most cases or if the ones I have seen are just exceptions.

Thanks
I was always under the impression that "Taffy" was just another term for "Silver Dapple" in other countries.

But maybe it's used for any "Silver-Combination" color as well that looks to be a taffy coloring? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Here are some pictures of a Silver Bay pinto that I bred a few years ago (no longer own her).

This is how she appeared in her yearling fuzzy winter coat.

ef1d9962.jpg

And here after she had shed "some" of her winter coat.

ef1d98eb.jpg

Here she is clipped, right after those first two photos were taken. She was actually much grayer looking than this photo shows...she looked just like a Silver-Dapple when I clipped her, except for the red coloring around her muzzle.

ef1d8f3c.jpg

And this is how she looks as an adult in her summer coat.

ef1d9866.jpg

ef1d96e8.jpg

As you can see....her mane kept a lot of the gray. Silver Bays manes & tails can come in a wide variety of shades. Anywhere from stark silver/white to very dark gray.

A "regular" bay has a red body, agreed?
default_wink.png
:

Silver affect black, so on a silver bay, legs, and mane and tail are affected.

When clipped the red parts stay red or get a bit darker, like a normal clipped bay.

The legs wil look dark-silver or a bit dappled.

A dark bay has more black on his body than a normal bay.

Silver will affect the legs, mane and tail, and also a bit more on the body.

When clipped the red parts stay again red but all the black will now look silver, some have dapples some don´t.

On a very dark-bay-silver you will still see the bay muzzle, unless it is balded, if you bald a bay the red will disappeat too, it will grow back offcourse.

A black is black all over.

Silver will affect the whole horse.

When clipped the whole horse will be silver, again some get dappled some don´t.

This is an example of a dark-bay-silver, you can still see the red nose and a hint of red in the flank.

In summer coat:

Clipped out of wintercoat:

Here are more pics of him:

http://www.lindasminiatures.com/jagdfalke_engels.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I'm getting confused here... We have a stallion that is registered as a Silver Dapple. I believe that he is a Silver something else... He has a gray mane and darkens down when he's in his winter coat, and when clipped is a silver dapple with a gray mane. Conversly we have a Silver mare. She turns almost white when clipped and looks a champagne color where her coat is growing in. We've only had her a week, so no winter pictures yet. She has a white mane and tail... snow white. She looks like a short Merriweather from the Black Beauty movie... (my girlfriend.. says she's drop dead gorgeous.. and she doesn't compliment anyone!). I asked the owner that we bought her from and she said for the longest time, they weren't sure what color she is. I was also told most horses have dapples, even blacks... they just don't always show... sort of like people get freckles.... true or not???

Meavey, I went to the website... and saw Melody... when I was looking at your Silver Bay... What color is Melody??? by the way... gorgeous horses...

Question: Do all Silver Dapple (be it Bay or otherwise) get registered as a Silver Dapple? in AMHA?

TIA

God Bless,

Lynn W

Maybe you can post pics of the horse black magic.
default_wink.png
:

Melody is a grulla pinto, if you click on het picture tou can see more pics and het color is written above.
default_wink.png
:

Latest posts

Back