Quantcast

Signs of foaling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

GlacierRidge

Reaction score
Are the signs that foaling is getting closer similar to that of a horse? I've foaled out several large breed horses, but never a donkey...or mini for that matter....and with my donkey due in about 6 weeks, I'm wondering if all of the signs of foaling (all or none that can happen to any given one!) the same as in horses? I always watched the bag shape/teats/waxing and consistency of the milk, the tummy size and shape, softening in the dock area, vulva color, etc. Out of 7 foals, I missed one...and when I DID get out there at 4am, I JUST missed him! Two times the mares seemed to actually WAIT for me to come down to the barn....one waiting till I was down there at a sporatic time cleaning up, another waited until exactly morning chore time....and she needed help...almost as if she knew she would. Anyway, it's been 3 foal-less years here, and I'm eagerly awaiting our first donkey (mini) foal....I've never seen a cuter baby than a donkey foal! But with such a period of time which they can actually foal.... I don't want to go crazy watching for the wrong signs, or signs that won't show up. Her stall is prepared, and she's getting used to it a little bit longer every day. As long as she's got hay in front of her, she doesn't care where she is!

She's an old pro at being a mom, she's 15 and has had at least half a dozen foals I am told, but I know nothing about the time frame which she likes to have them, and know that can change as she sees fit.....

Eager for the big day,

Angie

MeadowRidge Farm

Reaction score
Angie, yes the signs are the same as a horse. You'll do just great being a first time Donkey Mom.
The only thing I always do is just touch around there udder area alot a few weeks before they actually foal..it just helps them get use to having "someone" down there before baby actually has to nurse. You'll do great. REALLY! ...and I bet you wont miss this one either.
Donkey foals ARE the cutest babies
that have ever been born!

GlacierRidge

Reaction score
Thanks! Yep, already been playing with her down there...... she's such a sweet girl, she doesn't care what I do to her.....lol..... I got quite a gem here!

Angie

Latest posts