Shredder/Chipper for hay cubes - anyone use something like this?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suz

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone had used a wood chipper/shredder - or the like - to crush their hay cubes?

I've seen some posts on this topic here on the forum, but mostly from people who have heard of others doing it, but not actually have done it themselves, so I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience and if so, what type of shredder they use?

My biggest concern is the safety of the cubes once they go through the shredder - like with the oil from the shredder or the possibility of any metal shavings from the blades getting into the food - or am I being paranoid and over thinking this?? Afterall, these machines are made for wood, not for food.

Thanks much for any suggestions.

Suz

I've never used a shredder for my cubes. I break them up by hand, and if they don't break up, they get soaked. [The cubes that will break by hand, get fed dry; those that I can't break by hand get fed soaked. I don't feed a lot of cubes, so have the time to do this with the cubes. It was hard on it, but I have used a manual can crusher to help break up hard cubes.]

We use a straw chopper for hay and straw.

We used to use shavings for bedding due to the horses eating the straw.

Now with finely chopped straw it's better bedding and for horses who waste hay looking for the small bits, the chopped hay is just easily munched up completely.

Great idea chanda with the can crusher-

we use a rubber feed bucket and a hammer.I just take 15-20 min here and there when I'm not doing anything

the rubber feed pan catches anything that flies when crushing if you stand the cube on it's side it crushes easier

then pour into an empty sand clear bucket to store.

Soaking time after crushed is nice and short

I don't know anyone who has used a chipper though so no help here

Latest posts

Back