Showmanship question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying minis

Reaction score
Ok, now I've done showmanship at 2 mini shows (both over and under) and I have a question. How the heck are you supposed to move? Some just move from one side to the other, some move as the diagram in the rulebook, some do a combination, and it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference in placing. I notice the rule book says you "must" be on the opposite half of the horse from the judge, but the diagram of the 4 positions says you "should" be in those places. So is the half thing mandatory, but the spots aren't? Please help, I'm very confused!
default_unsure.png

AMHR uses halves; AMHA I believe uses the quarters method. With the halves you do still move between two positions on each side of the horse--up by the head facing the rear of the horse when the judge is back further on the other side, and then a step back, toward the horse's shoulder, facing the horse, when the judge moves further up toward the horse's head.

There should be more to it than the exhibitor just moving from one side to the other, but if that part doesn't seem to be making much difference in the classes you've seen it could be that all of the exhibitors have made some error and the judge is just looking at overall presentation--the one who did the best job overall.

A consistant winner in showmanship will have a very precise presentation--it's not just about the movement of the exhibitor on each side of the horse, it's about the training of the horse, how well the horse poses, how he holds that pose, how the exhibitor positions the horse and how he divides his attention between the horse and the judge, how he deals with it if the horse doesn't behave exactly as he's supposed to (that is if the horse moves a foot, or slumps)--how straight the exhibitors walks/trots the horse on the line, how well the horse pivots around on the turn when walking/trotting out individually--many things for the judge to look at.

A good way to practice quartering is to draw a big plus sign on the ground in your arena with the toe of your boot. Then practice being in the quarter that you should be (check the rule book, as I believe they have illustrations--if not there are a lot of good sites that can help you online) and ask a friend to be the 'judge' so you can move opposing them. Once you get the quarters down, practice stepping. As Minimor stated, your steps should be precise in their stepping. Check out the AQHA Youth, those kids can really do Showmanship! Again, very hard to describe in writing, but there is a crossover step that you should do that makes for a very crisp final presentation.

Also, in carrying your body, stand up straight! Pull your shoulders up, keep your chin up, use your eyes to check your horse--don't drop your chin. A good rule of thumb (I may be out of the loop on this one, as I haven't coached a Showmanship person since 2005 or so) when trotting away from your judge is to check your judge every three steps. One, two, three...glance at the judge, one, two, three....glance at the judge. Happy showing!

A good way to practice quartering is to draw a big plus sign on the ground in your arena with the toe of your boot. Then practice being in the quarter that you should be (check the rule book, as I believe they have illustrations--if not there are a lot of good sites that can help you online) and ask a friend to be the 'judge' so you can move opposing them. Once you get the quarters down, practice stepping. As Minimor stated, your steps should be precise in their stepping. Check out the AQHA Youth, those kids can really do Showmanship! Again, very hard to describe in writing, but there is a crossover step that you should do that makes for a very crisp final presentation.

Also, in carrying your body, stand up straight! Pull your shoulders up, keep your chin up, use your eyes to check your horse--don't drop your chin. A good rule of thumb (I may be out of the loop on this one, as I haven't coached a Showmanship person since 2005 or so) when trotting away from your judge is to check your judge every three steps. One, two, three...glance at the judge, one, two, three....glance at the judge. Happy showing!
Think of SMS like a dance. Though more "Tango" ;) Fluid precise movements for horse and handler. As a judge I DO NOT want military-looking movements. You're to SHOW OFF your horse - and marching around stiff doesn't do that! Also - OTHER THAN 4H - most of us judges HATE the "look over the should thing". Acknowledge (glance) at the judge ever few movements but not every few seconds/steps. Again there's nothing fluid or 'showy' about craning your neck every few strides.

Everyone has given you good advice, I'll add a couple of things. Position yourself when presenting according to a current rule book discription. Do stand up tall, but try to look like you are enjoying yourself, smile at the judge. When moving in a straight line focus on somthing straight ahead of you such as a fence post to help you keep a straight line. Don't look at other exhibitors, concentrate on yourself, your horse and the judge, don't hesitate to correct your horses feet or fix forlock or mane, you want the judge to know you are serious about winning. Also be at the gate and try to be first in the ring. Take a deep breath before entering the ring and before hand go over your presentation in your mind, think of yourself as a winner. Also at the trot I see many exhibitors make one big mistake, they get in the horses way, give your horse enough slack in his lead so that his head stays straight and doesn't turn into you it makes for a better picture to the judge. Good Luck and have fun!

Latest posts

Back