Show seasons coming

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abby

Reaction score
I have a gray (white) filly who I plan on showing this year. My question is, how close to the show do I clip her? I want her to look like white so if I clip 3 days before the show will it look good? Or a week what???

Help me figure this out please.

Lee

Can I add a second question to this topic?

Why do you have to clip? Are mini coats such that you cannot fit them with lots of

elbow grease? Thanks.

To the second question - most minis grow a big wooly haircoat in the winter and often don't completely shed it before June. Seeing what's under the hair is difficult, and judging a halter class of woolies would indeed be a challenge.

How far ahead I clip depends partly on the time of year - when they are growing hair faster, you may have to clip closer to showtime but generally on a white horse I like to give them 3-5 days and plan to touch up a little the day before.

Jan

For the second question - Jan's answer was great. And I would add to remember the rulebooks say that you do NOT HAVE to clip the horse, it can be shown in a full coat. But like Jan said, its easier to see what is under there and personally, especially for conformation events, I think it looks better.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was getting ready to show my grey-grullo stallion, DunIT, it was recommended I clip him just a few days before the show and that worked very well for him. With my two others, a silver bay and a golden palomino, I clipped them just one week before the show and their color was fabulous.

Back