Show Practice area

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suen

Reaction score
I am getting ready to start training with my two minis for halter, obstacle, etc. I am in the process of setting up obstacles in our arena, but cant find any information on how far apart to lay the posts they walk over, trot through, etc. and how far apart to put cones, buckets, etc. CAn anyone tell me a site to find out this info, or can tell me?

Also.... I have a friend who has a down syndrome child (16) who is interested in working and possibly showing one of my minis. He is a chiild who will need lots of help and guidance while showing. Is that possible? Do the judges allow you to be with them when they are showing? Can anyone tell me the requirements, rules, etc on something like this?

Thanks for any input....

As far as how far apart to place your obstacles, I would refer to the rule book. If you can't find it in YOUR association rule book I know there are plenty of specifications in the Pinto Rule Book available at http://www.pinto.org/information/12_rulebook_web.pdf. Search for "miniatures" and/or "trail-in-hand".

I will be very interested in the responses to your other question because I have similar questions concerning one of our 4-H members. I would like to know what happens if the person is unable to keep up at the trot, for example. She will be showing at 4-H events only but I would like to know what any association rules are.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as how far apart to place your obstacles, I would refer to the rule book. If you can't find it in YOUR association rule book I know there are plenty of specifications in the Pinto Rule Book available at http://www.pinto.org...ulebook_web.pdf. Search for "miniatures" and/or "trail-in-hand".

I will be very interested in the responses to your other question because I have similar questions concerning one of our 4-H members. I would like to know what happens if the person is unable to keep up at the trot, for example. She will be showing at 4-H events only but I would like to know what any association rules are.
I probably should direct the DownsSyndrome child as a question in itself on the forum. If I don't get replies to our satisfaction I will do that.... And.. I did look in the rules book but either I am blind or its just not there. I will look in the pinto site... thanks

Yes, I was thinking the same thing about putting the question about the Downs Syndrome child in a separate thread. If you do that you might want to refer to "PMC classes" or "classes for exhibitors with special needs". I have a 4-H horse show meeting on Friday and will bring it up then so may have more information soon.

I'm not sure of the specifications of how far apart poles should be, or obstacles, but I've done these classes before and do practice at home. what I do is set up my obstacles, bridges, poles, cones, tarp, pool, flags, barrels, anything I can think of and work the horses over and through using lots of patience. Important thing for me is getting the horse to really look at the obstacle and not rush, and once they are acclimated not to hesitate. There was an article many years ago in MHW bout obsacle training, can't remember the yr. I also don't have arule book in front of me, and anyhow mine is old.

On the Physically challenged child. Last yr. we let a partially blind child show one of our geldings, and before she entered the ring my daughter talked to the steward and the judge and got permission to go in the ring with her for halter so she could have a visual. She is blind in one eye and limited vision in the other, so she needed help. She didn't place high, but it was a confidence booster for her. Hopefully someone will give you the answers you deserve. Good luck! Have fun training!

Edited to add: this show didn't offer PMC classes

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I show PMC myself (62 this year) and the AMHR has the youth PMC classes and they are allowed to have the help that they need to get them and the horse thru the class safely and have fun doing it. If there isn't a youth class for something but there is an "open" PMC class then the youth can compete in that, I have shown in a lot of classes with youth in them. As for the Obst. stuff, just get your horse to trust you in any situation you can think of and you will be fine. Be sure to train the horse to Ground Tie because that is one of the toughest things in the obst. course.

Danny

I have a friend with autism who shows here in NC. The Special Olympics allows someone in the ring to help handle the horses. She has the opposite question, she wants to have a SO class for competing in dressage without help.

Perhaps you can ask the 4-H folks if they can use the SO rules for assisted showing?

Try this..

"Youth With Special Needs"

4-H Leaders Handbook

"Making 4-H More Accessible

It's a PDF file available online, just search the title.

excerpt:

9. The California 4-H Incentives and Recognition Program is to be adapted so that

individuals with disabilities can participate in 4-H awards competitions. These

adaptations might include "partnering" in awards competitions and providing

assistance on record keeping.

Latest posts

Back