Show Management

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sillylil'filly

Reaction score
I don't post very much but I am a big time lurker here on the boards. This season our local club has asked me to manage our AMHA shows. This will be the first time I have filled this role and want to do my very best! So my question for all of you helpful people, is: What do you find most and least helpful qualities in a Show Manager? What do you like/not like to see happening? And if anybody has any tips or tricks they would like to share, I am all ears!
default_smile.png

There are some wonderful programs out there to help with show management. It's been a few years since I managed a show, but I keep thinking the one I used was Gaitkeeper, I'm not totally sure yet. Be prepared for it to be mass chaos, just don't let the exhibitors know that it is. (HA) Read and re-read and re-read again the rules and regs regarding show management for the breed association that you are managing the show for. Make sure you get reliable helpers with incredible organizational skills. I wish you the best of luck. It's very rewarding, but if you think that actually showing the horses is stressful, wait until you manage a show. lol I can guarantee you won't sleep much. All in all though, it is a wonderful feeling on the last day of the show and all that you have left to do is submit reports. I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Organization!!

Honestly, if you keep everything organized both by files and on the computer it will make your weekend (or maybe more like weeks..) and the exhibitors weekend go so much smoother. Believe me...there is nothing more embarrassing then standing in the barn in shorts, flip flops and tshirt clipping horses and getting your name called for the two minute gait rule for a class your not even in.

As a former AMHA show manager this is my advice for what you need:

PATIENCE

SENSE OF HUMOR

Exhibitors will be stressed - more so if they aren't doing as well as they thought they would

They will forget to enter and want to enter at last minute, or forget that they entered a class.

BACKUP PRINTER and cartridges. Back up computer is great too.

Lots and lots and lots of copies of the show bill.

First aid kit - especially headache medicine - whatever's your favorite.

Coffee and doughnuts are very welcome in the mornings. Tea too if you can swing it.

Pen pens and more pens. They seem to grow legs.

I always let folks run a tab on classes. Never had anybody skip out.

Top quality announcer. Someone who knows how the classes run, has a good voice, and how to pronounce names (horses included). you also need a gate person who is patient and can follow the classes. This ISN'T a role for a child or someone who has no horse experience, although it seems pretty easy.

A headset kit is great. - connected to the announcer, gate person, and office.

RUNNERS - 2-3 kids who are willing to run to the barns, ring, etc. and generally run errands.

Drinks and snacks for the workers. An ice cold Pepsi can go a long way.

Good luck!!

I have to agree with the others that have already mentioned most of what I think makes for a good Show. So knowing I am repeating some of the stuff they have already said, here goes:

1. Gate person that is knowledgeable and is capable of keeping the classes going. IE next class lined up and the following class on standby, with enough moxy to close the gates after adequate consistent time etc.

2. Be prepared to be polite and sociable, but firm when needed for the well being of all exhibitors.

3. Knowledgeable ring Stewart.

4. Announcer that can be understood and is constantly calling for the upcoming classes with as much info as possible over the barn loud speaker.

5. Representative of the club you are working with in order to handle problems and complaints if possible. You are way to busy to deal with them during the show.

6. Plenty of help to assist the judges, ring Stewart and ring person if needed, passing out ribbons etc.

A SPARE SENSE OF HUMOR, as I am sure yours will be tested at numerous points thru out the show.

Good Luck it can be a thankless job, but a good show manager is worth their weight in gold!!!!!

Here are a few additions:

1) start on time

2) be consistent

3) be forthcoming with info -- canceled classes, upcoming breaks, measuring times. places, etc.

4) be where you are supposed to be -- not off schmoozing with your friends (and be sure the same is true with your staff)

5) SMILE and BE FRIENDLY!!! you'd be surprised how much this means after a long day of showing.

"4. Announcer that can be understood and is constantly calling for the upcoming classes with as much info as possible over the barn loud speaker."

This includes the class number AND what the class is - ie" Class 55 - Senior Stallions 30 - 32 is in the ring - Stallions 56 Senior Stallions 32 - 34 Your class is next!"

Make sure if you have a lunch break that you announce it early and often and keep it when scheduled (between class X and Class y)

The others have already listed off a lot of the things I would have said. I won't repeat all of them, but i want to emphasize the one: "start on time" IMO there is nothing more annoying that being all ready to show, and the advertised start time comes and goes for no apparent and no good reason--with management just sort of hanging around looking disorganized and confused.

I would also add one extra suggestion: treat everyone equally. If you stand by the rules for the little guy that is new to showing and doesn't know anyone and has only 1 horse entered in a couple classes, then stand by those same rules for the big name farm that is well known and paid out a small fortune to enter a very large show string in every available class. It doesn't go over at all well if you hold the gate for 10 minutes for the big important trainer, then 3 classes later you shut it in the face of the new guy that is 30 secondly late getting to his next class.

I think the key is knowledgable staff. Of course new things will always come up and no one has all the answers but nothing is more frustrating then having to explain to show management as an exhibitor what is going on or how they should do things. Take time now to know the rules - watch other shows and see how things run- and I guess most of all realize it is a give and take with your staff memebers- exhibitors to make for an enjoyable show

It is hard to remember in the middle of a show that you work for the show and customer service goes a long way. I know how hard it can be and how frustrating being a show manager can be but in the long run nothing makes it more worth it then having a successful show where the majority of exhibitors had a great time and you made your club some money. It is thankless most of the time but feels great when you know you did a good job

Latest posts

Back