Show horses with dry, scaley manes....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastrack

Reaction score
I have 2 show colts that have dry, scaley manes. Its at the roots of the mane and not noticable until parting the mane and cleaning really good. Its beyond just dandruff, its almost like taking a scab off. At first I thought it might have been the residue from the hair paste I was using to hold the mane down on show day. But I don't think it is that. I cleaned after showing to be sure I got it back out.

What can I use to help hydrate the mane hair? Please don't advise MTG. I end up with skin reaction on every horse I've used it on. :-(

What is their diet? Often, the root of dry skin problems is a lack of something in the diet. A source of Omega 3 fatty acids, such as flax, can be very helpful with dry skin issues. For topical application, I like Healthy Horse Hair Care conditioner, it has lanolin in it, so a bit greasy, but I like it, here's a link so you can check it out: http://www.horseheal...izer/652-1.html There are probably other places that carry it, I just new I could find it fastest at Horse Health USA.

I'm not saying use this as a supplement, as it was prescribed by a vet for my horse; but my Cushings gelding had scurfy skin this spring and it looked even worse after I clipped him to get rid of his long Cushings coat, the vet prescribed Vit A for him and since that is the main thing I changed in his routine, I'd say its working for him. [Due to his Cushings, he has a whole host of issues, so has quite the diet and supplement list.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Microtek Gel is similar to MTG and I use it on horses sensitive to sulfur.

Also, I'd use a medicated coal tar shampoo (Neutrogena TGel for humans is awesome!) to clean the base of the mane a couple times a week. The microtek is a leave on treatment.

I'll try googling your product suggestions. Chanda, they are getting flax in their diet. their coats are all nice and shiny, not seeing any dandruff or dryness there. Just seems to be at the base of their mane hair.

thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back