Show horse makeup

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minxiesmom

Reaction score
OK, you experienced show people, I need your help. With my previous horse, Max, I used black makeup over his brow and on his muzzle with some clear highlighter and it looked wonderful. He was a silver bay with a little star and a snip on his face. With my new horse, Patch, who is a sorrel/light chestnut, I was playing around tonight before a schooling show tomorrow and used the black makeup on his brow and it looked horrible...like a hooker!!!! What do I use on his color? He has had an injury in his past on one eye and it is a bit sunken. I need to do something to make it pop a little bit. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. I went over his brow with a 50 blade and it is skinned.

It's hard to answer without a picture, but sometimes you hide scars or "injuries" with the make-up. Using the black is the obvious choice and the quickest answer.

Another option is to get BROWN shoe polish for over his eyes and then top it over with a clear gloss of your choice. You probably already know, but you can get shoe polish with a sponge applicator, which makes it very handy.
default_smile.png

It's hard to answer without a picture, but sometimes you hide scars or "injuries" with the make-up. Using the black is the obvious choice and the quickest answer.

Another option is to get BROWN shoe polish for over his eyes and then top it over with a clear gloss of your choice. You probably already know, but you can get shoe polish with a sponge applicator, which makes it very handy.
default_smile.png

default_smile.png
I never thought of shoe polish?! I have used a black magic marker, which you can get very accurate on how your line is. No problem with the shoe polish irritating the skin?

You think brown would ease up the "hooker" look?

Magic Marker??? I've only used that for a black based colored horse...but that's just me. Using shoe polish used to be IT for horse makeup on face AND feet, then we'd do a shiney top dressing.

All I can say is try the brown (at home) and see what you think.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used eyebrow and eyeshadow crayons. I'm too klutzy and too apt to get it in their eyes, so I'd be afraid to use shoe polish or magic marker around their eyes.

These also work great on those little discolorations/scars on the body. I do use shoe polish and pen on legs and hooves.

I've used eyebrow and eyeshadow crayons. I'm too klutzy and too apt to get it in their eyes, so I'd be afraid to use shoe polish or magic marker around their eyes.

These also work great on those little discolorations/scars on the body. I do use shoe polish and pen on legs and hooves.
OMG! Oh Suzanne! What a great idea!!! You have opened my makeup bag to solve this problem....hahahahaha

Thank you!

Lip liner pencils, soft eyeliner pencils, etc. You can get browns. Blend out with some gloss. And, you can buy cans of spray on but...not good by the eyes!

Here's a tip: Halloween makeup kits --- yep, buy them up Nov 1. Lots of colors to use/blend. The work very well, are not expensive.

Some chalks also work....I've used it on the horses.

Minxiesmom said:
I never thought of shoe polish?! I have used a black magic marker, which you can get very accurate on how your line is. No problem with the shoe polish irritating the skin?
I will use shoe polish and sharpies on the hooves but not on the body. Kody looks flat-out ridiculous skinned up for show but the worst look I've ever seen is a chestnut horse razored in big swipes up over each eye and then blacked.
default_new_shocked.gif
Eww! Maybe I spent too long with Arabs but I want the horse to look like they naturally have fine hair, fine skin, and that means blending, blending, blending. I'll do the whole head with a 15, then use a 30 under the jaw, up the sides of the face and up the bridge of the nose (everywhere but the cheeks) and blend with a 40 on the eye and muzzle finishing with a 50 right over the eyelid and on the nose. You can then use baby oil all over to darken the skin and apply baby oil gel or highlighter on the eye and nose to last longer and draw particular attention to those areas.

To me it's the difference between hooker makeup and a classy lady. The lady may have quite a bit of makeup on, but you'll never see it! All you'll see is how beautiful she looks. With the hooker, all you see is the makeup. It's used to hide the face, not accent it.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
I..................................................

To me it's the difference between hooker makeup and a classy lady. The lady may have quite a bit of makeup on, but you'll never see it! All you'll see is how beautiful she looks. With the hooker, all you see is the makeup. It's used to hide the face, not accent it.

Leia
default_aktion033.gif

I like using just plain baby oil gel on a chestnut that has been razored.

Just what I like
default_smile.png

Possum.jpg

regionals006.jpg

regionals009.jpg

Joy

Like Joy I just use plain baby oil gel. But I don't razor I just clip with a 40, and if you want it to pop more you can use a black magic marker.

Here is my guy with just a 40 and baby oil gel. Looks natural too me.

Picture

Well, here I go showing my ignorance but MAKEUP ON HORSES???

Now I've heard everything
default_laugh.png
I would never have thought. I knew people would put baby oil on muzzles and around eyes but beyond that, I had no idea! When I was showing dogs, that was absolutely against the rules. However, Miss Clairol did visit plenty of kennels
default_yes.gif

Well, here I go showing my ignorance but MAKEUP ON HORSES???

Now I've heard everything
default_laugh.png
I would never have thought. I knew people would put baby oil on muzzles and around eyes but beyond that, I had no idea! When I was showing dogs, that was absolutely against the rules. However, Miss Clairol did visit plenty of kennels
default_yes.gif

Well, the rules say you "can't change the color" but you can "enhance" it. LOL

Knottymare said:
I knew people would put baby oil on muzzles and around eyes but beyond that, I had no idea! When I was showing dogs, that was absolutely against the rules. However, Miss Clairol did visit plenty of kennels
default_yes.gif
Dogs can lick off stuff you apply to their faces. Horses, not so much!
default_laugh.png

Leia

Latest posts

Back