Show Halters

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miracleminis

Reaction score
We are looking for a new show halter for the 2009 show season. Please share your opinions and/or experience regarding open or closed rings at the nose band.

The only difference I can see really is the fact that if you need to change chains you have to make sure and have a chain that has small enough rings to fit through the rings on the halter. Other than that I dont think that it makes much difference in appearance.

I think it just depends on the person who is looking...i personally think closed ring halters look nice, however i do not at all mind open ring, i have both and they both work great for me. When i use an open ring halter, i always make sure to loop the chain around once agian to make sure it stays tight, i never use a loose chain on open ring.

I bought open ringed show halters, thinking that fitting the chain would be easier, and if I wanted to change nose bands that was an option. After using them for a year I hate them. The chain is always riding up the cheek because there's nothing to hold it in place. Even if I wanted to change nosebands they cost 75% of what a brand new halter cost. Just not worth it.

I'd go with the closed rings. Showtime Tack sells chains that are small enough to fit through the rings.

I have both, and like both...with the patent nose I like the closed rings, but have some of the open rings on my silver (and silver/gold) bar noseband halters--on certain horses I really prefer the latter halters, so I wouldn't give those up in favor of having only closed ring halters.

I have changed the noseband on one halter--I bought the halter with a medium noseband for my yearlings, but the headstall itself was adult size...so I bought an adult noseband for it and it now works great on my bigger horses.

I don't often use chains on my show halters but when I do I always wrap the chain around itself so that it doesn't tighten on the chin--it's more like a bumper bar, though a very mild one since it fits closer and doesn't have the same force when it connects with the chin. The added benefit is on the open ring halters it stays in place & doesn't ride up the cheek pieces. Generally, though, I prefer the little biothane chinstraps--they work good on the open ring halters.

Most of my halters are open rings, but I prefer the closed ring for the reason Matt listed of the chain riding up the cheek. The only thing I didnt like about my BKM closed ring halter was that you have to cut the chain in you want to switch it. There is no saving it as a spare. The rings on the chain are too large to fit through the closed ring on the halter without cutting the chain. All but 1 of my halters is open ring, but if I had to buy them all over again,I'd spend the little extra money and go closed.

Jen

Just one comment on the open halters. It's fine until you have a horse that decides to act up in the arena (or anywhere). I've seen some rear up, the chain slip out of the open halter and the horse is loose.

Latest posts

Back