Show halters, clipping

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samantha S

Reaction score
We are hoping to go to a few A and R shows this year and show our yearlings. One is a perlino filly, a golden palomino colt and a chestnut pinto colt. What type of halters and colors would you recommend for them? I prefer the wider nosebands not the cable nosebands, what are your thoughts? Also, what size blade do you recommend using on the perlino with her skin so she shoes her color the best and how early before the shows should I clip her? With the other 2 boys, what size blade for the blaze on the face and white on the legs and how long before a show. Thanks a bunch, I am a little lost and want to show them to the best we can. I need to order their halters too. Family project, I am nervous to show but really want to and so does my 8 year old, so we are going to try our best and hopefully not make too many mistakes, but I told my son as long as we have fun that is all that matters. I wish I could be like him, nerves of steel and loves to compete. He showed at some local club shows and has a blast.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest e-mailing Laura from Ten-L farms. She shows a drop dead gorgeous perlino stallion and could tell you in detail how she clips him. She also has a clipping diagram and directions on her website on clipping heads and bodies.

No recommendations but I have a perlino too and this would be good info for me also. I mostly wanted to wish you good luck in your show venture. Will you be showing Zephyr? Sounds like such fun showing with your child, hope to see you at some of the shows. Will you be doing A or R shows?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to say keep in mind that the halter should be flattering to that particular horse. Horses with a bit of a long area from eye to muzzle generally wear a wider halter to break up that length. Horses with a pretty small short head generally wear a lighter less wide halter to really show off that pretty head. So for us we always go with what is best for that particular horse.

Just wanted to say keep in mind that the halter should be flattering to that particular horse. Horses with a bit of a long area from eye to muzzle generally wear a wider halter to break up that length. Horses with a pretty small short head generally wear a lighter less wide halter to really show off that pretty head. So for us we always go with what is best for that particular horse.
clippedfoals09004.jpg

Here is one pic of the filly. Do you consider her to have a longer head or shorter? What type halter would look good on her? I have other pics if needed.

clippedfoals09020.jpg

Palomino colt

foals09069.jpg

pinto colt

Now I think both of these have really nice heads and I dont say that lightly as Im pretty picky about heads LOL. The filly looks just a bit long but that could be because she doesnt have her eyes all the way open in the picture. Are these current pictures? (sometimes babies change as they mature) Love the head and eye on the colt!

Even if shes a little long I would not put a wide halter on her or the colt.

Remember fillies have to look feminine! So I would pick something lighter and delicate for her. Maybe a medium width halter (I would pick a dark blue with silver) She has a nice sculpted head with a small muzzle so that is a plus

The colt again I would not go wide but dont go feminine either. Show that pretty head and eye off! If you go with a colored noseband dark green looks nice on palominos

Nice babies!

Kay

Just to give an example

This is my filly showing as a yearling. Shes just a tad long -- not horribly but just a little. So she has a what I would call medium width noseband to break that up.

teaseneckfrench-360x283.jpg

Just to give an example
This is my filly showing as a yearling. Shes just a tad long -- not horribly but just a little. So she has a what I would call medium width noseband to break that up.

teaseneckfrench-360x283.jpg
Gorgeous Mare!!! How old is she in the pic? Thanks for the compliment on my minis
default_wink.png
Thanks for the advice, I will look for those type halters. Here is another pic of her what do you think, still a longer type face. She does have a tiny muzzle. This pics were taken back before all the tons of snow and nasty weather set in forever. I can't wait till spring and clip and see what is under all the fuzz.

clippedfoals09068.jpg

Thanks! That is tease the fall of her yearling year after show season was over.

In that pic your filly looks a little shorter but again her eyes arent all the way open. She must be one of those horses that just drives you nuts trying to get a picture LOL. We had trouble with Feature closing his eyes during his photo shoot.

I was trying to find a pic of a finer halter but I cant find it

I think one like Tease is wearing above would look really good on your filly. Its just a little wide but not so wide it will overwhelm the prettiness of her head. I would pay close attention when you clip her to her ears and eyes.

Kay

Hello Samantha, I think you have some very pretty heads on your horses so you have a definite advantage there already!

I do have articles with a diagram on my webpage that you can take a look at that may help you in clipping your horses head. (www.tenltraining.com) I would recommend that you pracitice clipping their heads prior to actually doing your final show clip so you can see how they look and make any changes that you want to in how you have done them. You can go up a little higher on the V at or above the noseband area too, blending it to make it look like it fades into the next area where the hair is a bit longer. Perlinos are a little trickier than the other colors with their pinker skin. I think one of the MOST Important things to remember, once you clip your perlinos face, keep them out of strong sunlight for a few days, as that is what makes the pink turn really too pink or red. They are more sensitive to sun. Also use a # 7 blade or #7f on the v of the tailset, it looks like crushed velvet, all nice and even and just a bit longer than the body, but a very nice clean cut to it, go against the hair with it, making your tailset V no wider than the actual width of the tailhead.(where tail joins the body)

So Ill detail a little about how we have done our perlino stallion and hopefully that will help you out a bit. I shave his body about 5 to 6 days prior to the day he will show with a #15 blade. I do his legs with a #30 blade about three days prior to his show day, this is my personal preference as it keeps his legs a little cleaner looking, a perlino naturally has a little more coloration on the legs and I like them lighter than what they are when they grow out too long.

I clip the head two days prior to the show with a # 30 blade all over. Then go over the eyes, muzzle and inside ears, and bridle path with a #50 blade. Go on the underneath of the jawline with a #50 too so it is really nice and clean looking under there. You can blend the 50 to 30 areas with a #40 with a really light touch if you want to. When you clip your perlino, try to work her early in the morning or late in the afternoon so she is not in the sunlight more than you have to for a few days until her hair has grown back in a bit. When we wash our perlino stallion, Buff, I get him right inside to dry there instead of standing out in the direct sunlight. This keeps the pink areas a nice light pink. If you do his muzzle and bridle path too early the little white fuzz is distracting and can look dirty when you put the baby oil gel or highlighter oil on him in those areas prior to showing. I think a really clean light pink color looks best on them. I do not razor my perlinos muzzles and eyes. I think that is a personal preference on that particular color! I never thought I would use a blue halter on a show horse, but it really does seem to look good on perlinos and cremellos. You can look at photos of our stallion on our webpage for examples of the light blue halter with black trim, and with silver conchos. It seems to work on this horse well and I think it would on your perlino filly as well.

As for your other two horses, the palamino will look really good clipped out as in my diagram shows. I would suggest a black with gold trim halter on him,either a gold metal inlay with black patent trim, or patent throughout about a half inch wide noseband would look good on that horse, not a flared one. ON the pinto, I would use a 30 on the entire head, then go back over with a 50 on the inside of ears, bridle path, muzzle and underjawline, over eyes. I use a #40 or a #50 on the blazes a day or two before the show, going against the way the hair grows in the entire blaze area. This really makes the horse look very clean and sharp. The white will really pop out.. Remember any area of skin that is shaved close will need to be protected from strong daylight, so once you have shaved her closely here, then work that horse early or late afternoon so it wont burn and be too pink in those areas. I would razor both your pinto and the palamino horses, there are diagrams and instructions on my website that will help you with that also. You can razor a bit higher or lower depending on your personal preference and the length of the horses head from the eye down to the nose. A longer faced horse can be razored a bit higher.( using a #50 blade just prior to razoring will help you do a neater and easier razor job.) On your pinto colt you can have a lot of color choices for a show halter on him that would look good. I think my favorite color of halter for most horses like in general is the pretty patent nosebands that are maroon with thin gold piping and black edges, cable over the crown and just a few gold ferrules on the side of the halter. Ive seen some bronze nosebands that look good on chestnut pintos too, or the gold or silver inlay nosebands also look good!

We use small to medium conchos on horses that have a nice eye on them, the conchos will help accentuate them in my opinion. Try to use a show halter that accentuates the head but does not overpower the head or look too bulky for halter classes. I think the classy fine halters with not a whole lot of extra glitz look really good on naturally pretty heads!

We use a flared noseband on our horses that have a bit longer faces. We do not use cable nosebands, We prefer the ones that are about a half inch in width, or on some horses flared nosebands that are a little wider at the flare. Its really nice if you can try a halter on a show and see how you like it. I also recommend highly the Rolex chains instead of the regular type show chains, they are much finer for halter and really put a nice finishing touch on your horse. You will also need to be careful and get the right length of show chain for each horse. If your chain is too long it will make it easier for the horse to try and mouth, lip or chew on it, or it can come up and over the nose. Also leather leads work best, they do not get as slippery in your hands as the biothane ones. We also like the buckles on them rather than a snap for safety purposes as well as a cleaner look to them. Well good luck at the shows and Im sure you will have a lot of fun showing with your family!

Hello Samantha, I think you have some very pretty heads on your horses so you have a definite advantage there already!I do have articles with a diagram on my webpage that you can take a look at that may help you in clipping your horses head. (www.tenltraining.com) I would recommend that you pracitice clipping their heads prior to actually doing your final show clip so you can see how they look and make any changes that you want to in how you have done them. You can go up a little higher on the V at or above the noseband area too, blending it to make it look like it fades into the next area where the hair is a bit longer. Perlinos are a little trickier than the other colors with their pinker skin. I think one of the MOST Important things to remember, once you clip your perlinos face, keep them out of strong sunlight for a few days, as that is what makes the pink turn really too pink or red. They are more sensitive to sun. Also use a # 7 blade or #7f on the v of the tailset, it looks like crushed velvet, all nice and even and just a bit longer than the body, but a very nice clean cut to it, go against the hair with it, making your tailset V no wider than the actual width of the tailhead.(where tail joins the body)

So Ill detail a little about how we have done our perlino stallion and hopefully that will help you out a bit. I shave his body about 5 to 6 days prior to the day he will show with a #15 blade. I do his legs with a #30 blade about three days prior to his show day, this is my personal preference as it keeps his legs a little cleaner looking, a perlino naturally has a little more coloration on the legs and I like them lighter than what they are when they grow out too long.

I clip the head two days prior to the show with a # 30 blade all over. Then go over the eyes, muzzle and inside ears, and bridle path with a #50 blade. Go on the underneath of the jawline with a #50 too so it is really nice and clean looking under there. You can blend the 50 to 30 areas with a #40 with a really light touch if you want to. When you clip your perlino, try to work her early in the morning or late in the afternoon so she is not in the sunlight more than you have to for a few days until her hair has grown back in a bit. When we wash our perlino stallion, Buff, I get him right inside to dry there instead of standing out in the direct sunlight. This keeps the pink areas a nice light pink. If you do his muzzle and bridle path too early the little white fuzz is distracting and can look dirty when you put the baby oil gel or highlighter oil on him in those areas prior to showing. I think a really clean light pink color looks best on them. I do not razor my perlinos muzzles and eyes. I think that is a personal preference on that particular color! I never thought I would use a blue halter on a show horse, but it really does seem to look good on perlinos and cremellos. You can look at photos of our stallion on our webpage for examples of the light blue halter with black trim, and with silver conchos. It seems to work on this horse well and I think it would on your perlino filly as well.

As for your other two horses, the palamino will look really good clipped out as in my diagram shows. I would suggest a black with gold trim halter on him,either a gold metal inlay with black patent trim, or patent throughout about a half inch wide noseband would look good on that horse, not a flared one. ON the pinto, I would use a 30 on the entire head, then go back over with a 50 on the inside of ears, bridle path, muzzle and underjawline, over eyes. I use a #40 or a #50 on the blazes a day or two before the show, going against the way the hair grows in the entire blaze area. This really makes the horse look very clean and sharp. The white will really pop out.. Remember any area of skin that is shaved close will need to be protected from strong daylight, so once you have shaved her closely here, then work that horse early or late afternoon so it wont burn and be too pink in those areas. I would razor both your pinto and the palamino horses, there are diagrams and instructions on my website that will help you with that also. You can razor a bit higher or lower depending on your personal preference and the length of the horses head from the eye down to the nose. A longer faced horse can be razored a bit higher.( using a #50 blade just prior to razoring will help you do a neater and easier razor job.) On your pinto colt you can have a lot of color choices for a show halter on him that would look good. I think my favorite color of halter for most horses like in general is the pretty patent nosebands that are maroon with thin gold piping and black edges, cable over the crown and just a few gold ferrules on the side of the halter. Ive seen some bronze nosebands that look good on chestnut pintos too, or the gold or silver inlay nosebands also look good!

We use small to medium conchos on horses that have a nice eye on them, the conchos will help accentuate them in my opinion. Try to use a show halter that accentuates the head but does not overpower the head or look too bulky for halter classes. I think the classy fine halters with not a whole lot of extra glitz look really good on naturally pretty heads!

We use a flared noseband on our horses that have a bit longer faces. We do not use cable nosebands, We prefer the ones that are about a half inch in width, or on some horses flared nosebands that are a little wider at the flare. Its really nice if you can try a halter on a show and see how you like it. I also recommend highly the Rolex chains instead of the regular type show chains, they are much finer for halter and really put a nice finishing touch on your horse. You will also need to be careful and get the right length of show chain for each horse. If your chain is too long it will make it easier for the horse to try and mouth, lip or chew on it, or it can come up and over the nose. Also leather leads work best, they do not get as slippery in your hands as the biothane ones. We also like the buckles on them rather than a snap for safety purposes as well as a cleaner look to them. Well good luck at the shows and Im sure you will have a lot of fun showing with your family!
Wow! Thanks for all the great info and for taking time to explain it in detail about my horses. If you don't care I may email if I think of more questions. I do have one more. When I order there show halters, how much growth should I allow for? I want the halter to fit them perfectly and I know that the do have some adjustment, but not sure how fast their little heads grow. Do you generally order a small and that will allow enough room or go with a medium that may be a little too big? I hate to have to order 2 halters for each of the yearlings in the same show season. Money is tight, with a daughter that is 11 months and 2 boys. Thanks again, for the responses that I have received, I have learned alot. LB MEMBERS ROCK
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back