Show halter fitting...new and FIRST show halter...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Timber Buck

Reaction score
Okay, here he is in it...sorry for the blur but taking pictures of him by myself is tricky lol. Anyway, I thiink it needs to sit high than this...what do you guys think?

Also...forgive the fact that we have not shaved his head yet. He wiggled so bad for the rest of the body that we are going to have to get creative with the head :) I think he is a tad bit ticklish.

2012-04-11_18-59-43_992.jpg

2012-04-11_19-01-08_735.jpg

I have only shown Paint horses but have attended many mini shows and I think the nose band needs to set higher also. It sure is a beatiful halter and a cute subject,too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, definitely needs to sit higher up on his face. I would say to place it (approximately) so that the upper edge of the show halter sits close to the bottom edge of the barn halter indent.

Yup that is hanging down way too low. Bring it way up. Mona pointed out where the barn halter has been. Go up there and lay it right underneath where his facial bones are. Really pretty halter too!

Mona is right about the noseband placement, but is that a throatlatch chain? If it is the concho needs to be moved up so that the chain dangles at the throatlatch.

The noseband should sit about halfway between the eye and the nostril... So about a fingers' width should fit between the noseband and those bones that stick out under the eye. Yours is way too low. Raising it up will also bring up the conchos and such.

I agree with everyone else. Bring the noseband up. Also, Did you decide if you were going to try to come to the opem show in Georgia this weekend?

Thanks everyone!! Laura, I Had every intent on coming, but my husband said that 3 hours driving is probably too far for his first show. He's only been trailered three times for about thirty minutes one way. He said between that, the first show, first time being exposed to other horses than his mother or two pasture mates, we might over do it for him. He's only 9 months old so we will probably go to a closer show for exposure...maybe not even show him the very first show so he doesn't get overstressed or have a bad first impression. Thank you sooo much for your hospitality though. We will definitely make it to your show one day though. I have your schedule. I wish it was an hour closer to me. Good luck!!!

If the halter is shortened so that the noseband sits where it is supposed to be then I think that the concho and the throatlatch chain will then be in the right position.

I hope there are enough holes to raise the noseband up enough.

You are welcome to find me at the Shelbyville show in Tennessee. I'll be there around 1 or 2 on Friday and all day Saturday. I'll be busy showing, but would love to introduce you to my trainer. You might need/want some assistance with his training in the future, and this trainer is located not too far from you.

Laura, are you going to be there Sunday? I will only be there Sunday because he is AMHA registered...Saturday I have previous committments. I would LOVE to meet you and your trainer though.

Latest posts

Back