Show Clothes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CookieGirl

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone ever tried making your own show clothes; blazers, vests, etc.?

I do a bit of quilting and have been wanting to start making clothes, and I also need to find something to show in this summer so it seems like a logical step for me.

If you have, any tips? What fabrics to use, or stay away from? I have found a website that I can buy patterns from, but am still just a little hesitant.

Anyone? I have found a site that sells patterns, but I would like to hear others stories if you have any? Pros, cons?
smile.gif

I have used some regular patterns (jackets, blazers, tops, etc.) plus patterns from Suitability who make patterns just for equestrians. I have used a lot of fabrics. There are some I hate working with (but still do if I want the look) such as the micro-dot (a tiny sequined look fabric) mainly because it can jam up the thread or pucker sometimes
default_wacko.png
. You have to use a sharp needle (called "sharps" usually). Some of the really stretchy lycra irritates me for the same reason.
default_no.gif
I think you just use what you like the look of. My biggest thing when I sew is finding something that is cool because we all show in such a hot season and long sleeves are the norm. I have made a few capped sleeve and even sleeveless tops that have decorative trims, etc. (depends on the class) for when the judge calls for a relaxed dress code in extreme weather.
default_wink.png
Hopefully a few more people will give their suggestions to to help.
default_saludando.gif

I shop at Goodwill and Salvation army for my show clothes because then if they get ruined - make up, ripped, dirty beyond repair - I don't have a lot into them.

But I am jealous that you have the ability to sew that well! I can do a straight line - well, pretty straight
default_biggrin.png
so was able to make stall drapes, but that's about it.

You could go to some of the sites of show clothes, Hobby Horse comes to mind, and see what they use for fabric.

Ive made my showmanship outfit (jacket and pants) from the suitability patterns. They were very easy to follow and the suit looks real nice.

The Suitability patterns are very easy to use but I would rather just go to the Goodwill and get an outfit. It takes less time. I love going to the Goodwill anyway so that just gives me a good reason.
default_yes.gif

If you are not used to sewing clothing, it is a little different than quilting. That said, I'm certain that you could do it with a little practice.

My suggestions would be to sew something from an easy pattern, like a shirt, etc. and see what you think of the finished product before going with an expensive fabric. The stretchy ones need some some special stitch and thread considerations, as well as cutting -- some bias, etc. You might want to practice on that type fabric before investing in price of enough for a full shirt, etc. Be careful with patterned fabrics in the beginning (just easier as you need layouts to match at seams, etc).

Vests are generally simple and you can get some nice patterns in most catalogues.

Unlined jackets are far easier but some fabric & pattern consideration is needed to provide the structure you will want in a finish garment.

Often at the thrift stores you can pick up some great buys -- especially jackets -- and add some bling with add on stones, lace, leather, already made decorative panels, etc.

Good luck and have fun! Show us your new clothes
default_yes.gif

Goodwill and a Bedazzler! Got a nice Dress Barn light weight fitted jacket from Good Will and set to work with a Bedazzler. I had a beautiful show jacket in about eight hours for about $10 in cost. I can't sew to save my life and I'm not that creative or domestic but my husband was really impressed!

Last edited by a moderator:
The gal who is making my new show shirts sent me to this site to look at fabric - took me 2 hours to pick out fabrics for 3 shirts LOL! There is just SOO much on the site - colors, patterns, types, etc.

It is www.spandexworld.com

They say they will send you free swatches too so you can see the fabric before you buy.

Latest posts

Back