Show clipping......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi - I know nothing about show clipping a donkey- but when I clipped Hershey- Chocolate Brown it took him about a week to have his colour fully come back- I did notice that his hair does not grow as fast as the horses do.

Hope it helps

Tiffany

Thanks Tiffany :aktion033: I appreciate the response
default_yes.gif
:

[SIZE=14pt]i don't show but when i clip mine it takes about a week or more to get color back. i did Petunia over a week ago (i think) and she still isn't her chocolatey self yet :bgrin . Maybe Shawna (Minimule) would know more
default_yes.gif
: , Nikki
[/SIZE]

The ones I'm showing soon, I clip one week before (golden palomino, silver bay, silver buckskin), about 5 days before (grey-grullo), and a couple days before (silver dapple).

My golden palomino, Bacardi, doesn't loose a bit of his color with the clip :bgrin

I clipped Kilroy 2 days before a show this May. I used a #7 blade so it didn't take off as much hair.

kilroy2.jpg

He kept his color and didn't get as cold as he could have. It was cold in CO!!! I clipped Sunny, my spotted mule about a week before the show and used a #10. She was still faded by the show. Her color was just beginning to come back but wasn't rich like I would have liked it.

The good thing is if you clip with a #7 and don't like it, you can always go back and reclip with a #10. Just make sure you don't have any clipper tracks on either clip job. Kilroy actually looked like I had clipped him a month ahead of time. Not a single clipper track and everyone was SOOO impressed with how he looked. Made me feel pretty good!
default_blush.png
:
default_yes.gif
:

ahhh!

I always just the "View New Posts" link to see what posts are new. Until seeing Kilroy, I didn't realize this was about show clipping donkeys.

I don't know ANYTHING about clipping donkeys!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
: :bgrin
default_wacko.png
:

Sorry to have chimed in w/ info that probably doesn't apply!

What I've read and been told, if the donkey has a "nice" mane leave it alone. If it is a bit ragged and doesn't stand up....roach it off. You want them to look as neat as possible. I personally think he looks much neater without his. My mules depend on how their manes looks. Maestro has a horsey mane that hasn't decided which way it wants to go so I roach his off. Sunny and Wylie have nice straight manes so I just used scissors and cut them off so they are about 1"-2" long. It looks pretty sharp!

This is Sunny after her color came back but you can see the mane. Yes, there is a bridle path.

sunny11.jpg

What I've read and been told, if the donkey has a "nice" mane leave it alone. If it is a bit ragged and doesn't stand up....roach it off. You want them to look as neat as possible. I personally think he looks much neater without his. My mules depend on how their manes looks. Maestro has a horsey mane that hasn't decided which way it wants to go so I roach his off. Sunny and Wylie have nice straight manes so I just used scissors and cut them off so they are about 1"-2" long. It looks pretty sharp!

This is Sunny after her color came back but you can see the mane. Yes, there is a bridle path.

sunny11.jpg

Thanks- I have been looking at your guys pictures on and off for the last couple of months
default_wub.png
: and couldn't figure it out. :bgrin

Latest posts

Back