Shoulder swelling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albahurst

Reaction score
When we got home from vacation last weekend, one of my Jr mares was limping quite significantly. Had some shoulder swelling on the right side. Got one vet's opinion to just watch it. 5 days later- still having trouble- extremely difficult to walk. I do have her on pain meds. Heading out in the am to a different vet. Anyone had something like this? I would appreciate hearing your experiences, treatment options, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
default_saludando.gif
sorry never had this before maybe she's been kick by another horse

Icing is also great for swelling. So if you can apply an ice pack some how or use a Ben-gay type lotion or liniment.

I had a full size mare that pulled/tore the muscle in her shoulder and it was quite swollen. She slipped while getting up and basically did a split with her one front leg, I saw it happen. That is a huge muscle to injure and takes a fairly significant amount of time to heal as they carry the larger part of their weight on the front. I would give it more time. I also would go easy on the pain medication as although you want to keep her reasonably comfortable you don't want her to continue to injure it because she isn't feeling any pain. I would probably consider stall rest for a time to keep her from moving around too much.

Sorry Peggy, but I just saw this. Is it possible to get her to a vet that can xray the whole area? I'm concerned, based on personal experience, that it may be more serious than it appears.

Sending good thoughts and hugs your way.

It could be nerve damage. My gelding (QH) was fine one day and the next day he was significantly lame and his shoulder was slightly swollen. My vet ordered complete stall rest with hand walking a couple of times a day. Several weeks into this the muscle started to atrophy. That's when I called in a chiropractor. I remember having to use a hammer and block of wood which if I remember correctly was to help stimulate the nerve. I believe it did help and the horse went back to dressage a couple of years later. It was a very long recovery.

Sorry you are going through this..........Please keep us updated.

Thanks, guys-

I took her to the vet yesterday. There is some pain in the feet right now. The shoulder swelling has gone down. She will be going back to the vet on Wed.- my usual vet was on vacation yesterday. This filly had a back injury in the past and I am thinking there is something going on with all of that history. I will keep you posted.

Thanks, guys-

I took her to the vet yesterday. There is some pain in the feet right now. The shoulder swelling has gone down. She will be going back to the vet on Wed.- my usual vet was on vacation yesterday. This filly had a back injury in the past and I am thinking there is something going on with all of that history. I will keep you posted.
Peggy, one of my stallions showed the same symptoms; my vet ultra-sounded the shoulder and discovered a fracture in the scapula. Stall rest for weeks, then to his run weeks more. He limped for a long time - after a year he stopped limping but still has swelling from scar tissue formed from bone bits. Show career over but still here, pain free and beloved.

Hope you get good news next Wed. and that her pain has eased by now.

We will check into it more next Wed, for sure. Today, however, I did take her and had a chiro treatment done. She needed work primarily in the C Spine. I also did alot of body work on her. The swelling isn't as much now, but she is quite sore in the chest muscles. She is a bit better this afternoon.

We will check into it more next Wed, for sure. Today, however, I did take her and had a chiro treatment done. She needed work primarily in the C Spine. I also did alot of body work on her. The swelling isn't as much now, but she is quite sore in the chest muscles. She is a bit better this afternoon.
Have you any news about your filly? Hoping you have found a resolution by now.

Latest posts

Back