Should I buy this Mini???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papps13

Reaction score
I have fallen in love with this beautiful, brown/black male mini, and I want to buy his as my first mini! He looks amazing and the owners say he is easy to care for, however there is a problem.

He is a chicken! He is skittish and doesnt like strangers!

I went and visited him but he wouldnt let me pat him. He let me feed him a few carrots but everytime a reached to pat him, or made a sudden move he would jump and/or step back.

What I want to know is, should I buy him or not?

Would I be able to stop him spooking and being skittish?

Last edited by a moderator:
First your not allowed to post pics of horses you dont own.

Second it really all depends on how much you want to work with him. Most minis can be calmed with work.

He is 5!

The owners went away for a couple of months, so he had no human contact!

They dont have enough time to spend with him. However He lets their 17 yr old son pat him, groom him etc, but no one else!

He is 5!

The owners went away for a couple of months, so he had no human contact!

They dont have enough time to spend with him. However He lets their 17 yr old son pat him, groom him etc, but no one else!
Being gone for a couple of months wouldnt make a horse that skiddish in my opinion. Most are also much better with younger people (kids/teens) when they are a bit scared of adults, especially men. I personally dont like dealing with horses like that and avoid it whenever possible. I have a mare here that was just a broodmare on big pasture for almost 10 years and after 3 years with us, she still dont want to be caught and will move away 2-3 times. She also still jumps when you go to touch her even after 3 years of gentle touch and talk.

If this is your first mini, I'd really suggest to pass on him and look elsewhere for someone more friendly. I'd hate for you to get frustrated and sour on minis from one boy. Also if this boy is still a stallion and doesn't want to be handled, they can be more mean than a mare would be.

Marsha

Is he also your first horse? (vs. "just" your first miniature)

If so, I'd say it would be best if you found a more people friendly, mannered miniature.

Also, if he's a stallion, most people (and for sure most people new to horses) will get much more enjoyment from a gelding than a stallion. When it comes to horses that are easy to love and do things with, it's pretty hard to beat a nice gelding.

Best of luck!

I really think there should be a rule that you can't buy a "first" mini until you look at (in person) at least two or three (preferably more). They are so darned easy to fall for, and we almost did the exact same thing. We keep a photo of the one we "almost bought" as a reminder. We even address this in information about minis on our website:http://www.ontargetminiatures.com/Information-on-Miniature-Horses.pdf

The first mini we did end up with is a lot like you describe - at 2 he was still a stallion and quite a handful. We felt that with our years of horse experience that we were up to the challenge and indeed he has worked out well. We had him gelded before we even brought him home and have shown him quite successfully. However, 7 years later he is STILL spooky and hard to catch and not a candidate to drive.

There are so many minis available now for good prices - or free - that I suggest you figure out exactly what you want - size, gender, registered or not, what you will do with it - and then keep looking. The perfect mini for you is out there somewhere! Good luck.

Some horses are just not "pocket pets", I have one who is, and one who isnt. My gelding is very independent, he doesn't like being "loved on", petted, etc. He's not mean or anything, he's just not a love bug. I know he isnt like this from being neglected or abused, its just his personality. My stallion on the other hand, is a complete love bug. He will greet you at the gate, likes getting scratched and will let you pet him. He just has a goofy fun personality, while my gelding is strictly business.

If its your first horse, I would get a horse who is more of a lovebug. Let me tell you, its not fun when they decide they dont want caught when its getting dark outside and your already running late lol

I have a bit of a different perspective than those already stated. My first "mine only" horse I got when I was 12, and he was a weanling Mustang off the range. My family had another horse and I had some horse experience, but not a lot. I trained that colt myself, first by gaining his trust and then teaching him to lead, etc, all the way to training him to be ridden, all by myself. It takes a LOT of time, and endless patience, but it was so worth it to me.

So my opinion is, if you have no pre-conceived notions of how soon this horse "should" be responding to you, and you would be content with the smallest of victories (he didn't run away when I lifted my hand to scratch my nose!) then I say go for it. But if you have visions of him pulling a cart in a few months, well, he may never be steady enough to do that, much less in just a few months. It is a good sign that he does let someone else touch him and groom him, so he shouldn't be as tough to tame as some might be.

I say, consider what you would want from having a mini, and I do agree with others in that you may want to look around a little bit first and see what else is out there. If this is truly love, well, I believe in love.
default_yes.gif

I agree, look around. I have had big horses for many years and bought my first mini a little over a year ago. He was distant and difficult to bond with. I thought I had made progress earlier this year after putting him up for sale so I kept him. A month ago he went in the other direction and is the moody, "don't touch me" biting, mule kicking brat that he had been before. I am keeping him because I don't like to give up and he is a good companion for a senior citizen that I have. I am also looking for another mini. This time I am taking my time and won't buy until I am sure the right one has come along. Good luck, minis are the greatest.

One of mine was the biggest PIA to catch like you cannot believe. Totally annoying, especially when I"m in a hurry and do not like playing around. Once caught however she's wonderful. Finally got sick of her being so evasive. Got a halter and lead rope on her one day and clicker trained her in no time. Soon as she hears the clicker, she comes right to me and stands still for me to catch her. Actually don't even need the clicker anymore for her.

Would his owners allow you to take him home and try him out? A good breeder/owner tries to place their horses in farms where it is a win/win situation for the horse and new owner. You need to find the type of breeder who is less interested in making money and more interested in the well being of the horse. I just had a woman phone me about buying a horse for a six year old child that has never been around horses. Another breeder tried to sell her a foal that's not even weaned yet.
default_no.gif
I can't even imagine how horrible that situation could get.
default_wacko.png

I looked for 18 months to find my first mini. I didn't care about showing or breeding so that made things a little easier. I was just looking for a pet. I wanted a weanling or yearling that had a good attitude. I finally found my little filly. The thing that made me the most attracted to her was the owner had a ladder over the pasture fence so the kids in the neighborhood could go out and pet and brush her minis (without opening the gates and letting the horses out). This little filly was used to kids running all over the place by the time she was weaned. So when I brought her home and all the little cousins ran up to her exclaiming how cute she was, she stood there totally calm and unbothered by all the commotion. I was SOOO glad that I waited until I found such a gentle, well behaved girl for my first mini. No matter what their size they are still horses and can still hurt you without meaning to if they are scared.

I personally would pass but I have read nice stories on here from others who have had success. I might not have enough patience.

There are so many minis around that unless you have the experience to handle a horse with issues and/or the 'want' to take on a horse that will be more of a challenge (who may take years to improve or never improve much) then I would pass it up.

Either go with a well raised youngster from a good, registered breeder or find a well handled older mini that is up for sale. First horses can be complicated enough without adding more into the mix.

default_saludando.gif
I to have a very timid mini ive had her for just over a year ...but aperantly thay use to chase her on horse back lasso her and throw her on the ground and worm here so no wonder she has no trust in humans...when i first got her you could not even go near her even if she was tied up.......but now she will let me pat her all over and catch her and brush her ect but this has taken over a year to get her trust and she still can be a bit timid at times...she has the sweeties nature would never kick bite you...so that is why i change her name to sweety...she will stay with me for ever....she is rising 16 now to ..

good luck on what ever you decide

I have a mare that is a pain to catch. We have had her for 6 years now and she stays stand offish. She was most likely hurt by a farrier as she took a hunk out of the arm of one that I tried. She is a very mellow mare and you can drive her anywhere and have anything pass her and she doesn't react at all. But if you go out into the paddock to get her she will run. All of my others are pocket ponie's.

I agree with several previous posts.....be sure to "shop" before making your final purchase.

Our very first mini was a filly who was NOT a "pocket pet" by any stretch but we decided on her after almost a year of research into minis in general. *Do your homework.*

We have her with us still....after 22 years. She's like a cat and loves attention on HER terms, even after all these years. But her foals are 50/50. Some are like her and some are like puppies. She and I have a special connection and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Obviously, everybody has there on perspective on how they look at things and although sometimes the consensus of a group of individuals is correct sometimes it's not....

First off your decision should be based on how this particular horse will be a benefit to you and what you are doing or wanting to do with him. Second and more importantly how much time do you personally have to invest into him based on his current disposition and do you have the horse knowledge to overcome his issue.

Only you can truthfully answer these questions and you can't do it based on what your heart/emotions may be swaying you towards....

Latest posts

Back