Shots

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamer

Reaction score
We recently had shots done for our minis. We had half done and waited two weeks and had the other half done on Wednesday. Both times and in the past they tend to get really sick with them. Poor things currently look miserable and for the first round one of them coliced. We inquired and found out our vet gives the same dose for the minis as he does the full size horses. Is this common? Should they be getting the same dose or should they be getting a smaller amount? What do your vets give or those who give your own shots how much do you give?

Our vet gives the same dosage to both large and small horses. I'm not sure that size is the indicator of how much of the active ingredient should be used even in dogs. I believe some horses are sensitive to the carrier and sometimes switching brands can help.

The dosage is currently the same for all breeds and sizes because when the effectiveness of a vaccine is tested and studied, it is ususlly on full size horses so the dosage is consistent. Many products say "the effectiveness of this product has not been evaluated in miniatures" on the labels. In order for the vaccine to be effective and legally valid (as with the rabies vac) the proper dose must be used.I agree, it seems odd that EVERY other drug or supplement is dosed by weight, but until trial studies are conducted with mini horses, it probably wont change. I have had horses get sick with the reconstitution live virus vaccines and usually they were aged horses. I would re evaluate your vaccine schedule and see if everything your sticking them with is absolutely necessary for one and I would ask the vet to see the vials he/she is drawing from. Are they ou dated or improperly mixed? Many modified live virus shots must be used immediately after mixing and if the vet pre mixes that could be causing problems. Some products warn about reactions, but if you're whole herd is reacting, I think something else is wrong. Maybe try a different brand of vaccine? Do your horses behave for shots? If not are they stressing out and thats causing colic? Or do their muscles ache from the shots and thats why they act miserable? My vet advises not to vaccinate old horses against rhino unless necessary as many have bad reactions. Did the vet hit a blood vessel? Did anyone get a fever/chills or sweats? Hitting a vessel will make them act sick too. Sorry your ponies aren't feeling good, hope they feel better soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember a number of years ago I questioned dosages. I did find a few articles that covered the immune response and how it works that explained how a 1 ml vax would work for any size equine... It has to do with how the immune system is stimulated not with dosage per weight. Don't have access to those articles any longer (Equus Magazine and some other sources). I haven't tried googling it, but you could.

I, too, have noticed not only issues with vaccines but some very serious reactions. A rather large number (and increasing every year) have had to be started on anti-biotics after a visit from our vet. I've had several other vets tell me that part of the problem is using the neck - especially in the smaller ponies and minis. Instead, make sure to utilize the much larger "butt" muscles. Also, changes in the vaccine "carrier" seems to have made a difference. I don't remember ever having any problems before they came out with the "Innovator" products.

Hope your guys feel better soon!!

Thank you! I appreciate the explanations as to why they receive the same dose. Next year I think we'll probably ask for a different brand and have him give it in the butt and see if that makes a difference for them.

My vet explained it when I asked about size. His response was "the horse may be smaller, but the bugs aren't any smaller"

I have had all of my minis vaccinated (in the butt)for the past 6 years and have never had a problem. Mostly used the Innovator. Maybe a change in brands

would be in order.

Latest posts

Back