short necks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choklitbean

Reaction score
The reason I didn't want to breed my mare is that she has a short neck - a REALLY short neck. It's all of one inch longer than her head, otherwise she's a very nicely put together girl. Because I'm a curious type person this got me to wondering - How hard is it to put a neck on?

I know from the goats that it's much easier to breed in a level topline than to breed out a pocket in the udder. So, is a short neck easier or more difficult to breed out than other faults?

I'm not interested in breeding her anyway. The question has just been niggling in my brain for awhile.

I think it depends on the mare. I have a mare who has a shorter neck, but not overly short. I bred her to a stallion that has a longer neck and this was the resulting foal.

platinum04-r.jpg

platinum04-h.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]It has been my experience that short necks are hard to get rid of. Thats why I dont breed any mares with short necks anymore. Necks are a priority with me now. Easier to correct a long back than a short neck.[/SIZE]

One of the traits of dwarfism is an extremely short neck compared to head length. Even if there are no other signs it would make me think twice or three times about it. When you say her neck isnt much longer than her head that would worry me.

Lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your thoughts.

I had wondered about dwarfism, but I wasn't sure if there had to be other signs of it as well. After more reading and seeking out pictures I'm wondering if Chinook also has signs that I'm not recognizing due to inexperience. If that's the case it would mean I have THREE minimal dwarves!

One day when I have a bit more time I'll post some pictures and see what all of you who know have to say about the dwarfy questions.

[SIZE=14pt]We are not vets remember but lots of vets dont recognize it either.... We will all take a look when you are ready.[/SIZE]

Lyn

IF YOU LOOK AT OUR 45 + MARES YOU WILL SEE WHERE WE GET OUR LONG NECKS FROM. IF YOU PLAN TO SHOW THE BABIES, THEY NEED TO HAVE A GOOD LONG NECK ON THEM TO DO WELL IN THE SHOW RING.

Thanks Bob, the only one of mine I'd be interested in showing is Chinook and he has a lovely long neck.
smile.gif
My mare came as a package deal with a 2yr old gelding, he's so ugly he's cute. The mare has no papers and is a B size, although there is a slim chance I could still get papers on her. So that combined with her lack of a neck there is no reason to breed her at all - she's just sweet as sugar with a very pretty face and so I'm content.

I was made doubly curious when I was perusing mini sites and saw a couple of breeders whose horses had shorter necks. I find different things about genetics very interesting and so the question of how hard it is to put a nice long neck on came to mind and has been bugging me for weeks.

Back