shopping at the Goodwill

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
Does anyone else do it for shirts or whatever? My sisters are horrified that I would even Think of shopping there. But I ruin so many shirts from barn and working in the yard that geeze Im not that much of a fashion diva and a simple new short solid colored sleeve shirt for 20$ seems like alot when I can get one at the Goodwill for a 1$. And then I couldnt give a crap if I get it stained!! We have a great Hospital thrift store that always has perfectly great clothes and also nice furniture. I think its alot of Dr.'s wifes that drop their things off.

My sisters seem to think shopping at those stores are for "poor people" not for someone that has 4 dogs and 5 horses. I beg to differ....maybe Im not rich and we are certainlly not poor...but a good deal is a good deal. This way I get to spend more money on my pets.

how many others shop at thrift stores?? and I dont just mean for halloween.

P.S. I just bought a ( I think fox ) fur jacket for 2$ (in Fla. ) Im going to cut it in strips and use it as pelts for Skillets next parade...nephew will be an Indian and he will lead his little Indian horse!

default_saludando.gif
Salvation Army Thrift Stores and Goodwill are my favorite places to shop; along with yard sales. Why spend money when you can save it or stretch it. If you can't make more money, you find ways to stretch what you have. It's just been a way of life for me.
default_smile.png

God bless,

Joan

I shop there or at a local thrift shop fairly frequently. Found a jacket for showing at a thrift store.......A lot of our camping utensils.........a couple of coats, some shirts for hubby.......even things for Bri.

Bri LOVES thrift stores because whenever she gets an "A" on a test, I let her buy something for herself.

Goodwill is a great place to get barn clothes for both adults and kids... I know that I've gotten some awesome barn clothes at goodwill and garage saling for both me and the kids!!!

My friends and I run in sometimes to see what vintage clothes they have. I just resold a vintage cord jumpsuit I bought at Goodwill for $2 for $50 on eBay. I also found the coolest platform bowling shoes a few years ago for $5, and a vintage beaver fedora still in its original hatbox for $5. I received more compliments on those vintage Goodwill bargains than I ever did on my label stuff while living in the city.

My hubby thinks the same as your sisters. But I go there quite often. Never know what I am going to come home with. I never find something specific if I'm looking for it though. I like the idea that the money goes back into the community to help others. btw, our local one is all volunteer run and really is able to help those in need.

My daughter goes every so often...
default_sad.png
l would never have the nerve to wear anything out of there as most of my husbands sisters who lost there husbands donated clothes there..l would be afraid of getting and wearing a deceased persons clothes. JMO

I TRY to shop at the local Goodwill, but I swear they get in every other Goodwill's JUNK.
default_wacko.png

I used to LOVE shopping there in Seattle and Portland.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a very popular goodwill in my town. Since our town is more of a higher income town, you find alot of expensive cloths, most not even worn. But the problem with being a higher income town is goodwill doesn't make their prices as cheap as they used to. Sometimes your paying $10 for a shirt! Now if I was going to spend $10, it wouldn't be on a used shirt.

Yup, I buy second hand all the time! You can get a lot of nice clothes for less, and then you don't have to look like a slob in the barn at home (not to mention horse shows and clinics behind the scenes) because you CAN dress nice without saying to yourself.. "oh, these jeans are too nice to wear out to the horses"- Somebody probably paid a lot for them, but you sure didn't
default_laugh.png
But then, I NEVER spend a lot of money on clothes... if I can't get something second hand I will wit till its "last seasons" and buy it on sale for 50-75%off at the mall! So I don't really have "good clothes" and "barn clothes" (just "clean clothes" and "barn clothes"- aka yesterdays "clean clothes"
default_rolleyes.gif
) because I didn't pay enough for anything to worry about ruining it at the barn... I can't remember the last time I bought any article of clothing for full price, and I don't buy from department stores almost exclusively name brand stuff (and name brand used stuff).

I've bought a lot of the clothes I wear for showing at Goodwill or Savers. Why pay $50- $100 for a jacket? We've also found some vintage type clothes that work for our Cowboy shooting outfits....like old coats and pants.

I love shopping at Goodwill. My favorite shopping day is "Blue Tag Tuesday" where everything with a blue tag is $1.50. And it isn't just for barn clothes either, I get a lot of my work (teacher) clothes there. We also are a hospital town (Mayo Clinic) and you'd be surprised what people donate!

I do almost all my clothes shopping at the 2nd hand, consignment and goodwill stores. I've gotten some new stuff, tags still attached, for a fraction of the new price, and I've gotten a lot of nearly new stuff that's in perfect condition.

One consignment store used to have one week a year where a whole bunch of stuff would be marked down to 25 cents per item...I'd buy piles of clothes that week! The good thing about that is if I wanted to only wear an item a couple of times...I could without feeling guilty for spending money on something I wore only once! I got lots of good outfits for work that way....got lots of compliments on my new outfits too!! Sadly that store became a factory outlet for a brief period of time, and then closed up when the owner moved on. I miss that place!

We do still have 3 or 4 thrift shops but none with 25 cent sales
default_sad.png
...so I now have to pay $1 to $2 for my clothes.
default_laugh.png
The one thrift shop does have regular bag sales, where you pay $5 for everything you can fit into a paper bag. All of my chore clothes--t-shirts, sweatshirts and sweat pants--come from the thrift store.

Got a $300 Eastern Mountain Sports winter coat for my son for $10 at Goodwill. Seeing as how the kid loses every coat he has I would rather lose $10 compared to what the original cost would be. Plus I usually gett really good deals. Linda

I've bought a lot of the clothes I wear for showing at Goodwill or Savers. Why pay $50- $100 for a jacket? We've also found some vintage type clothes that work for our Cowboy shooting outfits....like old coats and pants.
Savers is where most of my show jackets come from. They have really nice brands like petite sophisticate and bebe for like $10 and less. I also got a brand new italian jacket. We also get some t-shirts for the barn. I have even gotten abercrombie and hollister shirts! I love shopping at savers. You get the clothes without the high price.

Goodwill is a must hit store before I shop the regular store for the kids. Yesterday I walked away with almost two dozen pants, a half a dozen shirts, two show jackets for my daughter and one for me for less than $50. Most are expensive name brands too.

I do have to giggle though as I find tons of cloths for the girls but almost never find cloth for my eight year old boy, they must be too hard on their cloths.
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back