Shootings

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How are you going to stuff the genie back in the bottle? We inherited a veritable arsenal from my parents. ...to add to what we already owned. I spent a minute or two thinking about this, and I don't think a single one of our firearms is on record anywhere. So how do you make evil people like us comply with your ideas of safety. By the way, I can do just as much or more damage with a "regular" gun as I could with a scary-looking "assault-type" rifle.

Guns don't kill; whack-jobs do.

It is a shame we cannot control ourselves -- humans, that is.

My own thoughts are that society has evolved into this riotous lifestyle over many, many years. There is a real difference with the discipline, values, work ethics, family structures that have evolved over the past 100 years. The communication, transportation and with that the media access which we now either enjoy or are subjected to, have all made things available in a way never known before. Plus, drugs were not so prevalent as now, although there were such drugs/weeds in use. Money, housing needs were not the same although just as critical as because it is all relates to the times and values of people and money, etc.

I believe we should be able to own guns. Personally, I have several -- rarely used but, here and had for so long there is no registry for them that would alert anyone I have them. Their use is certainly controlled as is their safekeeping.

So, having watched a lot of westerns when TV became a reality, it is a fact that many crimes were committed then for all the same reasons.......at least for the wrong reasons. Since the communication was not so great in Civil War times and forward, much of the gun abuse is just not considered or known widely. But, there were situations just as ugly then. Gun control wasn't even considered.

We know many countries had civil wars, the severity was less as the available components were less.

Awareness plays into the whole mess -- guns & world disruptions -- via our multi-media outlets. Those are my thoughts -- no resolve, just some overall "why" input.

So, having watched a lot of westerns when TV became a reality, it is a fact that many crimes were committed then for all the same reasons.......at least for the wrong reasons. Since the communication was not so great in Civil War times and forward, much of the gun abuse is just not considered or known widely. But, there were situations just as ugly then. >
.... So very true.

I picked up on the word evolved. In some respects this could be an adequate word to use I suppose but it is really not precise enough. It might cause one to think that this "evolution" is happenstance or an adaptation. This is where I would part company with this thought process because absolutely NOTHING about that thought process is based in reality. The reality is that our goodness as Tocqueville wrote about has been driven FAR away from us and further, we have allowed it to happen. Nearly everything I write about is to sound THIS alarm.

As to the previous poster stating that they felt that nobody needed an "assault rifle". I would beg to differ and the founding fathers and what they said are the basis for my understanding and stance. Again, WHY do we have this second amendment? What IS its singular purpose? In the countries that we have been party to or led the world to attack and destabilize and rape, do you suppose that those innocents would have liked to have had these mythical and evil "assault weapons"? Betcha they did and DO! Yet, they don't for the most part and must be burdened by two "factions" going at each other with their innocent families in the cross-hairs. Had they the means, these community's could and would mount an effective defense sending these factions elsewhere or better, to eternity. If standing armies are a dire danger, and they were and they are, you must have a balance of force decidedly tipped in OUR favor and constantly in place and diligent. Laying down or surrendering ANY arm in light of the danger and evil of ALL governments pose is really a bad idea, and always has been.

As to the poster who stated that their arms had never been registered, they very well could be now dependent on the type and tenacity of troll reading those words......

Thank you for your time,

Bb.

The word evolved grabbed me also and is something that I have thought a lot about. I think you are so right Bess in saying that the values/family dynamics have changed so significantly over the past 100 or so years. I think somewhere along the way our priorities and focus shifted, as generations try to "fix" and influence the next. I support capitalism and a free market, on the principle of simple and absolute freedom, but as a country as a whole, we seemed to have replaced our value system with our economic one, or at the very least let it take the back seat. We raise our children on stories of morals and standards, but when they begin getting old enough to look for these morals in the real world they see two separate distinct worlds. A "work" world where providing for you and your family requires, at the very least, small but constant moral sacrifices, and a "family" world where these standards are again top priority. It seems like one generation takes the stand of toughening the kids up for the "real world", then the next one has to deal with a bunch of "bullies" .How about we, the ones raising and influencing this next generation, toughen our kids up by making them not care about celebrity and wealth, appreciate them for there moral character instead of relying on their overblown financial success to allow us to rest easy knowing they will be ok when we are gone. Maybe we need to start realizing that it will be their moral ambiguity that we are causing that will be their downfall and not their political or financial standing. Quite simply, right and wrong are black and white, there are no special exceptions due to circumstances, no matter how big OR SMALL, but forgiveness is unlimited and genuine. Simple but so easily complicated.

I'm a super-anal, law-abiding citizen; but, if somebody asks, anything we own that goes boomie fell off the boat and is at the bottom of the lake. I feel that strongly.

Not to mention, firearms aren't cheap; who's going to pay me if "they" take them? Forget the scary bang/boom aspect; I'm cheap and won't just give the liberals my things for free. Seattle had a gun buyback a while ago; they were giving Amazon gift cards of 100.00. Come on, really? I bought a cute, used 22 revolver for 250; that's the closest I've gotten to that price.

Every time something happens, the husband starts nagging at me to buy an AR or AK (forget which one), because that's what his like-thinking guy friends do. And I always said, NO, because of cost. I thought I read in this thread that somebody said "they couldn't take them", but now they are doing just that in CT, CA, and one other state (forget which.) So now he's going to go out with his friend to fire both weapons to decide which he wants. And I told him to load up on magazines, because who knows when they'll also be prohibited.

That would be what happens when people who have never set their hands on a gun tell us what we should do. We stockpile, stockpile, stockpile.

With the borders wide open and the whole world going crazy there are going to be folks wishing they had a gun.

I remember a story a guy at the counter of the gun store told me.. He said one day a woman came up and ranted at him about guns and people shouldn't own guns and guns were bad and kids were getting killed in schools and nobody needs an AK rifle to protect themselves and nobody but police should have guns... etc etc.

Then one day about 6 months later this same person came into his gun store to buy a gun. She looked at quite a few and finally choose one. He said he just had to ask her what changed her mind and that he had remembered her from 6 months before being dead set against guns.

She said her next door neighbor was the victim of a violent rape crime in her own home and she didn't feel safe any more.

I say it is a matter of choice as to owning a gun, the constitution protects our right to bear arms and protect ourselves. It is a known fact that in places where gun control is strict, then there are more violent crimes in those areas, why, because the bad guys can always get a gun and it doesn't work to take the guns from law abiding citizens. The more control, the more folks will stockpile.

I think there should be more investigations into the connection between certain medications and violent crimes.

I think the government has much bigger problems on their hands than the debate on whether folks should be allowed to own guns or not. Problems like ebola, fukushima, drought in California, wide open border, the middle east crisis, Russia, china, I could go on and on, but you get the picture.

cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it seems we all agree on one issue and that is our American right to bear arms. Not to much being said though about states having better background checks to help keep firearms out of the hand of the mentally ill or just plan angry people.

While a small group of people on one forum might believe it is the American right to bear arms there are many people that want to take away that right. It is those people with power who will go to any length to do away with that right in order to accomplish their real missions. Hence, the headlines will be about any and every shooting. If there are not enough dramatic stories about shootings then the false flags get staged. Which shootings were false flags and why people are so evil as to commit these atrocities and how they actually accomplish these while deceitfully getting the blame put on some unsuspecting patsy has gone from unbelievable to expected. Some of the cabinet members and congressmen/congresswomen speaking up on banning guns really are doing a "bang up" (no pun intended) job on showing just how dumb they are when they verbalize their stance on gun control. The hill has more than it's "fair share" of dingalings.

Silly little story here... about people's change of heart on firearms.

When we moved here in 2010, there was a woman down the road that used to be best friends with the woman that owned our house. The folks that used to own our house used to shoot the crows and hang the carcasses on the fence to deter other crows.

A bit of time passed. Then the crows started bathing in, pooping in, and just generally fouling our horsey water dishes. I was getting darn tired of emptying the horse water dishes several times a day and started complaining to my husband. Meanwhile I learned this neighbor woman was an animal lover. So we popped a couple crows and hung one on the fence as a potential deterrent. Next day, the neighbor lady showed up on my doorstep giving me holy heck about who shot that crow, animal cruelty, etc. I gave her 15 min before I dismissed myself (probably a bit rudely) and then tasked the husband to get the crow off the fence.

So then, end of summer 2012, some guy a few miles up the road went whacko. He was taking on the world with his lone 22. There were 100 or so responding officers; this nut-job was taking on an armored personnel carrier and all those police with his 22 (incidentally he lost.) Less than an hour into this, Ms. Animal Lover called and asked us to keep an eye on things and if necessary she/they might want to come over for safety. And if it had of been necessary, they would have been welcome.

Just kind of funny that a person could be so vehemently anti-gun, except when something happens.

I was canning tomatoes yesterday and the TV was running in the background. I heard Whoopi on the View state that someone had invented a smart gun that would only fire for the owner. Sounds like that may actually help the ones that have small children in the home to keep them safe from self inflicted wounds.

Latest posts

Back