Sheep farmers in other countrys

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norah

Reaction score
This is how they farm hre in the Swiss Alps . In May or June when the snow is gone they head up the Alps for the summer . +or 2 family members , or hired help stays in the Alps with them until they come home in September . The farmers stay in small log cabinsthe size of your tool shed , no running water or electricity sometimes. But a water troff just outside of the purest mountain water you will ever drink. In my generation ( 42) farmers children could go to school in the Alps to learn how to farm , and live in the Alps in these little cabins. They learned about all the madicinal flowers , and how to use them as medicine . Today the equine and livestock vets still use herbal remedies . I just treated Lice with Lavender , worked like a charm. We go to the Alps and collect Arnika flowers and make a salve for skin problems .We use camomile , neddles, and various synergies . hope i can post these pohotos enjoy , this is my backyard , literally viele schafe.jpgtschegn-dadens 023.jpg

t-dado 001 (3).jpg

steiler.jpg

I think that is absolutely wonderful. What a beautiful place to call home!

My Swiss blood is calling me! I'd gladly spend a summer in a cabin in the Swiss Alps, watching sheep -- provided I could bring my horses, dogs, cats, and husband!

Oh how beautiful! Thank you for sharing. I used to have barbados sheep, they look like small goats, but don't climb, they also are self shedding, no need to clip. I miss them, they really brought out my maternal instincts bottle feeding the lambs.

Beautiful pictures... I imagine it is very peaceful there...

What a truly stunning place you live! And I would love the peace and quiet I am sure you have. Thank you for sharing those photos!

WOW !!

Now, living on what you would call totally flat land, as well as a climate that does not have the snow and cold winters...long ones. So my question is this -- what/how do you feed these herds all winter? I see a valley in one pic but assume it is also snow laden...? Geesh, I thought my winter work/feed issues were "huge" but those pics of the beautiful summer sure leave me wondering about winter.

default_worshippy.gif
That appears to be a real tough go...........enlighten us, please.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back