Shedding...Rubbing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spindleberry

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Sugar is starting to shed her winter coat. She's shedding like crazy to but she's also really itchy. She rubs her butt and neck on the fence and has rub spots where she has rubbed the fur off. I brush her daily. Is there anything I can do to make her less itchy?

Thanks!

my guys are all rubbing generally all over, but tail rubbing may mean worms or lice.

When was she wormed last? Does she possibly have lice? I know, I know eww yuck! That does NOT mean that you are a poor horsekeeper!!! You may just need to use a livestock dust on her to rid her of lice, or ivermectin also gets lice.

I wormed her with ivermectin paste in Feb.
default_wink.png

I don't think there is anything much you can do to make them less "itchy" when they shed. Mine don't have lice, or worms and they love to rub the fence also. Makes me crazy when they break their tail hairs!

You could try to mount a push broom head on a fence post at butt height and let them self groom. You could try cleaning between udders or clean sheaths, that may help. Good Luck!

I wormed her with ivermectin paste in Feb.
default_wink.png
THis time of year my guys start getting warm during the day so I start to clip thier itchy spots. They look funny until I give them the full body clips but they still need that winter coat for another couple of weeks.

I have a few horses that sound just like yours. I did think maybe it's lice but had the vet out and he said no.

I ended up clipping my colt's head and neck and he seems much happier. Our weather is breaking and he is stalled so

I'm not worried about that and he seems much, much happier!

Everyone here is itchy too - rolling, rubbing on fences, etc. But we also notice that the mares' udders all need attention now - between the teats where crud collects. That will also make them rub their butts.

I have huge brushes mounted to posts . the brushes are for cows , they are about 2 feet long and look like a giant toothbrush, they can be mounted on the fence or wall. I got mine in a shop for livestock, they are GREAT , and it was cheap!!

Personally, I would check the horse's dock by parting the hairs and seeing what the skin condition is under the hair. Sometimes they get icky looking gunk on the dock from being so dirty over the winter. Even if you can't fully bathe her, you could spot wash her dock with a little Head and Shoulders. Another thing you may do if give her udders and her female areas a good rinsing with a warm towel or a aloe baby wipe, like Targetsmom said.

Thanks everyone! I wish I could body clip her now but it's 40-60's during the day and 30-40 at night...and I bet we end up with another cold spell this month....It seems way too nice for the first part of March!

Same issue here, they are getting rooster tails. In the past I have used the generic forms of Nutrigena T-Gel Shampoo. Works great. Really stops the itchies on the tail and mane neck area. You do have to let it set for a bit but it gets rid of the drandruff from winter and stops the itchy skin issues. I'm getting ready to do mine soon.

Also I was told worming only slows the pin worms which cause the tail underneath to itch so best to clean under the tail often and between their Teats.

Good luck I hate what their tails look like this time of year.

Marie

Latest posts

Back